Silt in winter closed pool

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
We had an extremely hard rain event about a 1.5 weeks ago which caused some localized flooding on my property. Basically my pool house and pool area flooded. I cleaned off the automatic cover last weekend and this weekend I cracked open the pool to see the damage inside which is a thin layer of silt on the bottom. Not sure if you will be able to answer these 2 questions but i thought i would ask anyway.

1. Will the silt stain the liner? - I'm slowly vacuuming the liner with my robotic pool cleaner, but it requires lots of filter cleanings and subsequent settling.
  2. Should I be testing the water chemistry and adjusting? I closed via the "Closing an inground pool" sticky last fall with Polyquat

Photo of the silt below. Would appreciate your thoughts.
20170121_173601.jpg

It should not stain your liner, although that is entirely dependent on what is in the soil that washed into the pool. In most cases bleach will take care of
dirt stains. You may want to just manually vacuum the silt, I'm sure it would be faster than the pool robot and if you move slowly it won't stir up as much dirt.

I would test the water and see if I needed to add chlorine.

Unfortunately I live in a northern climate and the pump and filter have been disconnected and stored for the winter. I thought about opening it just to filter the pool but I'm giving the robot a go first.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.