EasyTouch Pool/Spa Combo vs. Pool Only

Flybriz

Bronze Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hi everybody!

I'm currently pricing out an automation system for a new pool build I'm starting this weekend. I've torn out a 24' round and left the deck structure, and replacing it with a 12x20 Aquastar on-ground. I've been pricing out an EasyTouch system with salt cell, and am finding that the Pentair 520545 Pool/Spa Combo kit is a few hundred dollars cheaper than it's Pool-only equivalent, 520704. The pool/spa combo unit also comes with two actuators, which I will use at least one of for a planned water feature. So now the question: Are there any concerns with getting a pool/spa combo system for a single body of water? I have no plans to add a spa, but since it's a few $$$ cheaper AND includes the actuators, it seems like a good deal to me.

Thanks for any insight!

Fly,

I have two rent houses that both have the "Single body, Pool or Spa" version of the EasyTouch 4. Neither house has a Spa, so they work just fine.

If I had to buy another EasyTouch today, I would not buy one that did not have the built-in SWCG power supply and Load Center for the circuit breakers.

The model you picked (520545) is an EasyTouch 8. You could save a few dollars by going with the EasyTouch 4, but better to have too many relays than not enough.

Having an extra valve actuator might come in handy down the road if the original one fails.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim and KA! I appreciate the tips - After additional research, it would seem that Pool Supply World is the only place that is pricing the Pool/Spa combo box for less than the Pool or Spa only box - So maybe it's just a sale that's going on. I still haven't found what the true differences are in the combo vs. single body controllers, so it could be just labeling or some software differences. I am definitely going for the one with the saltwater transformer built in, and am leaning towards an 8 relay because I love to tinker - probably will do a 2 speed pump (non-Intelliflo, so that will eat up a couple of relays), an in-pool light, the water feature valve actuator, and maybe something else in the future so 4 won't cut it. If I find any info on the differences I'll post them here.

Fly,

Well, it is easy for me to spend your money, but if you are buying a new pump anyway, I'd go with an Intelliflo, the "Gold Standard" of pumps. My pool set up requires that my pump run at about 1,100 RPM to close the flow switch. This allows me to run my pump at 1,200 RPM most of the time. If you go with a 2-speed pump, you need to make sure that the low speed will be fast enough to close the flow switch.

And... you can't use two of the standard EasyTouch relays to run a 2-speed pump because they are Single throw relays (Only have normally open contacts). To run a two speed pump, you will need to buy a Pentair, 2-speed relay, which is a double throw relay that has Normally open and Normally closed contacts.

Good luck with your project.

Jim R.

Thank you again, Jim! I hadn't dug deep enough yet to learn about the relay requirements for multi-speed pump control. You definitely have saved me some potential headache. I'd love to do an Intelliflo, but my pad is a long haul away from the house and it currently has 2 20AMP 110v feeds. I suppose I could change out the breaker and make it a 220v (it was wired that way by the previous homeowner), but I don't want to lose my 110v outlet that's currently used for landscape lighting and the occasional blender. Service panel is maxed so if I want 220 and 110 at the pad I'll need to pay an electrician some significant $$$.

Oh brilliant, Brian! I just popped the cover off the main panel. It is 4 wire (H/H/N/G) @ 12 gauge. The conduit run is ~50 ft. My Google search indicates that #12 is okay for a 20 AMP 70' run. Did I get that info correct?

I'm pretty excited that I might be able to bump up to an Intelliflo!

Yep :goodjob: That would be just fine.

If the run is only 50', I'd yank all the wire and pull #8 (40A) to the new Easytouch panel. That way you'd get your 220v 20A circuit for the pump and still have plenty left for current and future circuits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.