One slam after another during winter rains

Jul 24, 2016
Vacaville CA.
Hi folks, I'm getting a little fustrated here. It seems I get algee with every heavy rain storm. I just restored my pool to crystal clear after a slam and cleaned my filters. I held my fc level just above slam level as there was another storm coming in. Sure enough overnight rains left me with a merky swamp. I also have a problem with runoff from my lawn flowing into the pool so I have learned to clean my filters a day or so after the storm. With one storm after another here in California lately I am going threw 4 gallons of chlorine a week. Is there a better way? Should I be using an algecide? Here are my chemical readings., TC 21... CC 0... FC 21. ....PH 7.4... TA, 80..... CH, 280.... CYA, 50

Yeah that has to be frustrating! I suspect the water coming from the yard is your main problem. It will bring all kinds of stuff with it that will mess up a pool. I don't THINK an algaecide will help but it should not hurt if you use the "correct" one. NO copper. A polyquart is best (quat algaecide (Alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16) Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride).

Is there ANY way you can block or drain off the water before it gets to your pool? Share some pics and someone may have some ideas.

Kim:kim:

I think my next home-improvement will be some sort of drainage around the pool for sure. I sent a message to the contractor that built my shop to get some ideas and a quote. He installed the drainage in the picture between the shop and the pool. I think adding about 1 foot wide of concrete and this drainage around the pool would do nicely.
cde30362220088d84c6866450dce2c6d.jpg
fb706fc401f2667808ed3f498acccaaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain!!! At this point with all the rains and the draining I have to keep doing, I have spared myself the energy of doing anything until the weather breaks and warms up a little. Then I will start a slam and prep for season ... it is just too much rain at this point [emoji23][emoji23]

After today will be drain #4 I have had to do since December lol

Agree with Kim that job 1 is to eliminate all water that runs into your pool from around it. Practically guaranteed that's what's causing the algae outbreaks. Rain itself won't (wind with rain can from blown in debris). Do whatever you have to do to get that water drainage situation addressed. Underground trenching, re-routing downspouts, larger drains, etc. Then rain will be a non-event. Then during these deluge times if overflow concerns you, you can just buy a submersible pump (Little Giant cover pump or the like), put it on the steps using bricks or something to get the level correct, and it will automatically keep the water level correct.

Agree with Kim that job 1 is to eliminate all water that runs into your pool from around it. Practically guaranteed that's what's causing the algae outbreaks. Rain itself won't (wind with rain can from blown in debris). Do whatever you have to do to get that water drainage situation addressed. Underground trenching, re-routing downspouts, larger drains, etc. Then rain will be a non-event. Then during these deluge times if overflow concerns you, you can just buy a submersible pump (Little Giant cover pump or the like), put it on the steps using bricks or something to get the level correct, and it will automatically keep the water level correct.

thanks, I like the automatic drain pump idea. I have a couple contractors lined up to get some estimates and have an opinion from one already. I'm looking at adding about 15" to the pool deck with a 4" steel grate type continuous drain troff that will drain into the existing yard drainage system. I want in to look nice, be effective and last a long time. I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time.

Your pool and yard look great :)

Glad to hear they're adding the intercept drain. In the meantime, and depending on the lay of the land, you may be able to fend off some of the runoff with a cheap backwash hose filled with water and laid a little ways in from the edge of the stone. You can roll the ends of the hose and clamp them so you don't need to buy any fittings. Even a garden hose laid a bit in from the edge might redirect a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Poolmaster 50 ft. x 1-1/2 in. Backwash Hose-32165 - The Home Depot

Runoff water into a pool is perhaps the worst possible thing that can happen chemistry-wise. It is pointless to manage your pool water until you stop the runoff......completely.

Yes I am learning that. I'm working on getting a couple quotes to have 18" additional concrete and channel drain installed around the pool. This looks to be very expensive the first quote came in at $6700. Any other options you can think of would be helpful. I am considering starting a second thread to try to drum up some creative ideas.
3dc90ab9faf86e2c1d4289adecad77ac.jpg
5d2358ec6c1f20b28716b3106ccb1963.jpg

I am having a terrible problem with storm water runoff from my lawn entering my pool. My first thought was to add more concrete with a channel drain to capture the water and divert it to my yards built-in drainage system. This is going to be very expensive so I want to throw some feelers out there for any ideas you might have to tackle this problem more affordably. My contractor suggested cutting cost by incorporating small areas of channel drain with sloping valleys to divert water but I'm not sure I like the look of that. I want a worry free long lasting solution that won't break the bank and looks good. First estimate for the addition of 16 inches of concrete with channel drain is $6700. One of the biggest challenges is the weird angles my pool deck has.
4e615054f374b035388c3eb1e2b65b47.jpg
d0051a52fcb978dcbe9973a6c7d2757f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A French drain along the section of the pool where the water enters the pool area would work. You would add drainage pipe and eventually terminate in a dry well at a lower elevation than the pool.

Look up French drains on google. It is most certainly a DIY project if you can rent a trencher. It can be done with shovels but that takes a lot longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to understand the slopes from the pictures. Is the high spot upper left in the google earth pic? and low spot around the garage lower right?

I understand. The majority of water enters from the upper left portion of the Google Earth pic. The yard is pretty level so I want to guard against runoff all the way around. We could tie into existing drainage that runs out to the street at both ends of the proposed drainage run around pool.

If you've got more rain problems coming, and you're going to do something there anyway, you could dig a small trench (say 6" wide, 6" deep) along the outside of the stone, provided there's a low spot for the water to get away.

This is kind of a once in ten year problem by the look of it, so 24/7 SLAMing during the contamination event would help. If the runoff is frequent, then yes, it's pointless trying to manage the pool.

A strip drain outside the stone would work (needs to be somewhat clean when the rain comes and tied into the stormwater drains). Around $15 to $20 per foot is probably in the ballpark, with the strip drain set in concrete and something solid for lawn edging on the lawn side of the drain. The challenge can be getting enough slope over a long distance. Around 1/16" fall per foot of run will scour dirt away and stay dry enough that mossies won't breed in it, but at that low a slope, it needs to be put in accurately.

This picture is for the reverse problem (keeping salt out of the garden) but gives the general idea. This one has a bit over twice the slope you would need.

20170131_114903_resized.jpg

If you've got more rain problems coming, and you're going to do something there anyway, you could dig a small trench (say 6" wide, 6" deep) along the outside of the stone, provided there's a low spot for the water to get away.

This is kind of a once in ten year problem by the look of it, so 24/7 SLAMing during the contamination event would help. If the runoff is frequent, then yes, it's pointless trying to manage the pool.

A strip drain outside the stone would work (needs to be somewhat clean when the rain comes and tied into the stormwater drains). Around $15 to $20 per foot is probably in the ballpark, with the strip drain set in concrete and something solid for lawn edging on the lawn side of the drain. The challenge can be getting enough slope over a long distance. Around 1/16" fall per foot of run will scour dirt away and stay dry enough that mossies won't breed in it, but at that low a slope, it needs to be put in accurately.

This picture is for the reverse problem (keeping salt out of the garden) but gives the general idea. This one has a bit over twice the slope you would need.

View attachment 56708

Unfortunately getting out there and digging a trench is not an option for me right now. Just had foot surgery and I am laid up. Nonweightbearing for 12 weeks. I just got another written quote in today. The price was so low I about fell over. $3050 for 74 linear feet of concrete 15 inches wide with 3 inch channel drain tied in to existing drain system at each end. Mitered angles to follow contour of pool deck. Includes moving existing lawn irrigation to accommodate. I found some photos online for a concealed French drain which I like. Sharing those photos.
7a59b79b4fca117088726582a3f9ece8.jpg
af364f9bb587655e271f665bd710d5ec.jpg
fea1d1f0b42443f5f71fe26d9c2ae19c.jpg

Excellent - you've got some great options there :) I hope you're back up and normal soonest, and take good care in the meantime. Sounds like a lousy time to have doggone runoff into the pool!

Excellent - you've got some great options there :) I hope you're back up and normal soonest, and take good care in the meantime. Sounds like a lousy time to have doggone runoff into the pool!

Thanks, I get around on a knee scooter and I am still checking and maintain the chemicals. My kids have been brushing the pool for me. After the last big rain we cleaned the filters that were full of mud and I think I have dumped about 12 gallons of chlorine since then to maintain shock level and get it to clear up.

:hug: for the foot surgery! Those knee scooters are the bomb! Not a fun time for you BUT follow directions and do not even put a toe down if you can help it.

I love those pics you found. Do the job and look pretty!

Kim:kim:

Finally! My sparkling clear pool has returned. Seems like it took forever and I was concerned that algae would return as we just had another big rainstorm. For what it's worth I did add a bottle of polyquat 60. I am now allowing my chlorine level to fall back down to normal range. Another rainstorm due in tonight so we will see what happens.
d1fe2819030da7e0cfbc5c692f2f1585.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.