New Hayward Filter...pressure at 30!!!

HarryK

Sep 3, 2016
Pensacola/FL
okay...recently did some cleaning (Floc), and after vacuuming, noticed water level was a bit below what it should be for the skimmer to get enough water...turned off skimmer valve near pump but I'm assuming some air got into system...pump pressure was reading near 30, whereas its usually at a nice stable 10...checked causes/solutions, and I do not have a pressure relief valve on my Hayward (I saw a couple other members with similar sit'ns)...shut down pump, cleaned basket for pump...ran for 5min on "Backwash", 5min on "Rinse", then went back to normal "Filter" setting, but pump pressure is still reading around 25-30...don't notice any leaks anywhere on piping/housing...how to relieve this unwanted air pressure???

Harry, when you used the Floc and let it settle, did you vacuum directly to "Waste", or is it possible the Floc went to your filter? If any Floc was sucked into the filter it could have clogged-up the filter a bit which could account for the increased pressure. Also, to rule-out a bad gauge ...... when you turn-off the pump, does the pressure gauge fall naturally to zero?

It's odd that you don't have a pressure relief valve which we use to "burp" the system with any air that may have accumulated in the top of the filter housing. Sometimes that ability to "burp" the air is actually built into the pressure gauge itself. In those instances, you turn the top part of the pressure gauge (can't remember which direction) and you can purge air from the gauge. Can you update your signature with your equipment information please? You can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later.

- floc...definitely vac to waste...
- at rest, filter gauge reads 20, then jumps to 30 when running water...was reading zero before (last week), then stayed at 10 during operation.
- when I have everything off, and I undo reservoir lid for pump, the water level is right to the top of reservoir, then I hear gurgling when lid comes off, then water level drops to usual level (about half of reservoir volume); also, and this is recent (last couple of days), when I do take off pump reservoir lid, I noticed a small volume of water gushing out from around lid/seal...checked seal...seal not compromised (I think!)...

Sounds like your gauge may be stuck. At rest, when the pump is off, the gauge (needle) should fall back to zero. If it's sticking at 20 when the system is off, then that would account for the 10 psi increase to 30. Your system may actually be operating correcting at 10 psi, but the gauge is stuck (higher). You might consider replacing it with a nice glycerin-filled gauge as seen here on the TF-100 web site: TFTestkits.net.

Oh, and about air bleeding ... it looks like the Hayward TOP mounted multiport valves do not require an air bleeder valve. They self purge air in the system through the return lines. :)

will take replacing gauge...thank-you...just tried pump again...noticed a very small trickle leaking out from filter housing lid...when pump was turned off, a small gush came out of lid...could a faulty o-ring be the cause of my problems?

A small leak at the filter housing lid/gasket would certainly result in some water drips when the system is on. When the system is off, it could allow water to flow backwards out of the pump basket when you pull the clear lid off, but it shouldn't have any bearing on the higher psi reading issue. Still something to look into though. Being so new, I'm surprised there is a leak at the housing O-ring already. :confused: Perhaps a little bit of Magic Lube/pool silicon might help?

lol...when checking out o-ring, n oticed it was dryish...took it off, lubed, and re-inserted...leak at pump filter basket lid seems to have disappeared! The virtually brand new filter gauge has been collecting residual moisture not long after I got it, but the readings were okay...tapping face cleared away water so I could read it...did some googling (I can tell my grandchildren I was around when googling was NOT a recognized accepted verb!) and glycerin-filled gauges are not too exorbitant...will be ordering tonight when I discuss with The Powers That Be (yes, I'm married)...hopefully this will clear up issues!

also...noticed it earlier today, but didn't register as part of possible problem indicator...have 2 water return ports in pool...one is sending out nothing but water, but the second one has air bubbles coming out with the water...???

Normally, the observance of air bubbles means air is getting into the system somehow. In most cases, it's a suction side leak (from the poolside skimmer to the pump) where air is being pulled-in. The TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page is a good place to start for more info. Since your filter system has a multiport valve and was designed without a purge valve to release air, there may be times where you'll see some air being purged out of the return jets, but hopefully not too much or consistently. You might also keep an eye on the pump basket to ensure the water level doesn't drop in there as well. If it does, then all of these things tend to point back to a suction side leak where air is making into the system. Really check the pump basket's (clear lid) O-ring gasket well. It's a common place for air to enter. That's another O-ring that needs Magic Pool lube to stay fresh retain a good seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks for advice so far...feel I'm not alone!
At the pump/filter (by the house, about 20ft away from actual pool), there's one water return pipe that I'm assuming splits off once it gets near the pool...if there is air coming out just one return port, I'm thinking there's no air getting into system at pump/filter area, but I might have a compromised pipe carrying the water to the second return port...to verify this, I would have to dig up a 40ft trough to see if this is the case? :(

Two thoughts there ..... if you had a compromised pipe somewhere with water going "back to" the pool to your returns, you would most likely see water in that area (soggy ground). That's because on the pressure side back to the pool, water will be forced "out" of the pipe and no air would be sucked in. As for air bubbles only appearing from one pipe .. well ... I occasionally have that issue. For me, I have 6 returns. If I get air in my lines, bubbles flow-out of the returns closest to where the main return line splits to the other returns. The returns farthest from that splitter don't see as much bubbles. Hope that makes sense. In the end though. air typically enters the system on the suction side. It doesn't take much. If it's not a lot of bubbles and the pump basket isn't losing prime or the water level in that pump basket isn't dropping significantly, you might just monitor it for a while. Most suction side leaks, where air enters the system, are above ground - most of the time. :)

thanks for advice...air bubbles from one return and not the other doesn't seem to have any negative side effects (water level constant, no dirt/etc showing up...all good)
My gauge reading 30: ordered a glycerin-filled unit...came in yesterday...immediately installed...pressure is now reading 10!! Did the Happy Dance in back yard...dog thought it was highly amusing, but didn't participate...

lol...when checking out o-ring, n oticed it was dryish...took it off, lubed, and re-inserted...leak at pump filter basket lid seems to have disappeared! The virtually brand new filter gauge has been collecting residual moisture not long after I got it, but the readings were okay...tapping face cleared away water so I could read it...did some googling (I can tell my grandchildren I was around when googling was NOT a recognized accepted verb!) and glycerin-filled gauges are not too exorbitant...will be ordering tonight when I discuss with The Powers That Be (yes, I'm married)...hopefully this will clear up issues!

Take a look at TFTestkits.net . This is the gauge I got, it's very reasonably priced, and looks/works great.

Dollar late and a day short! Glad you got a new gauge that is working for you. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.