Water beetles

Freegav also mentioned a hard brownish scum layer on his fibreglass pool in another thread

He sure did.........I think it is all connected. He needs a good test kit. Once he gets that he needs to do a full run of tests and share them so we can move on from there.

Sharing some pictures will be helpful as well.

I worry all of the stuff he has added to his pool has caused some of these problems :(

Kim:kim:

Test kit ordered. Should have it next week. Somewhat concerned with the swg it measures something called orp but is never consistent with FC levels. Also no matter how much the automatic doser works it never brings the ph below 7.5. Also have calcium flakes in bottom of pool near outlet.
Sorry for dump of issues but the pool shop is useless

Awesome on ordering the test kit
I think we all have some ideas on what your issues are
But until we see your test results we cannot be sure precisly the cause
Also cannot really recommend a course of action without the test results

Can you please expand on your signature with your other pool equipment
We can start with making sure the pool equipment is all running as they should until the test kit arrives
Although the inconsistent FC levels could also be related to inconsistent testing

And why would you want your ph less than 7.5?
Its right in the middle of the ph range

Ph can sit anywhere from 7.2-7.8 and be happy
You dont really always want to be chasing a set number with ph
As long as you are in that range you are all good for everyday running
Well for ph anyway

There are times when we do adjust ph lower or higher
But they are for specific circumstances

I have a set of links I share with new pool owners. It is also good for new to TFP people as well. It is a lot of info so go slow while reading it. It will all start to make sense when you start using it.

Print these out to keep by your test kit:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

All of the teachings here at TFP are science based with daily use in thousands of pool world wide. You will notice there is a range for each test. That is because each pool is different. A different kind, in a different location, etc.

We will help you find what works best in YOUR pool to help balance it after we clean it up. It will be a Trouble Free Pool LOL

Kim:kim:

OK professional test completed.
Ph 7.4
Ch 225
FC 7
Cc 0.5
Ta 125
Cy 30

Found the ph hard to read.
Pool looks little cloudy when son shining in it. Reflecting off something in pool. Also seeing bubbles stuck to floor and walls. Dislodge when brushed.
Thanks

36000 l fibreglass black pool
swg. automatic acid doser.
cartridge filter. computer measures orp not fc
Melbourne Australia

For the PH I hold a white plastic plate behind the tube under a bright light as about shoulder height. I pull the plate back and forth until I see the color math.

When you say "professional test" what do you mean? I see you wrote "computer measure orp not fc". Does that mean you had the pool store test your water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be meaningful, the SWG must be turned off or set to 0%, from the time of the evening test until the morning test.

We saw backswimmers for the first time last night. It was a bit hot yesterday and we were out swimming with the pool lights on. I think they're attracted to the lights.

For the PH I hold a white plastic plate behind the tube under a bright light as about shoulder height. I pull the plate back and forth until I see the color math.

When you say "professional test" what do you mean? I see you wrote "computer measure orp not fc". Does that mean you had the pool store test your water?
Thanks. Mostly sorted. Just need to wait for algaecide to break down. My ch level is 225 with a fibreglass pool and I think I have a couple of calcium stains. Would raising the calcium hardness level help. Thanks

36000 l fibreglass black pool
swg. automatic acid doser.
cartridge filter. computer measures orp not fc
Melbourne Australia

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.