Test kit in ... let the SLAMing begin!

Ok so I have reconciled all my products I have taken photos front and back:

I have around half of the total amounts left of the PH buffer, stabiliser and hardener and 2/3 of the chlorine and acid.

PH buffer

Acid:

Chlorine:

Stabiliser:

Chlorine hardener:

I havent taken any pic of the pool tiles up close as they are pretty clean from all the srcubbing. Apparently being a scrubber is one of my numerous talents ;).

Hi Kim
I was thinking after drain and refill to do a mini slam and run an OCLT just to check all the algae is gone
Do you think this is overkill?

Caco, it could not hurt for him to run his FC up to SLAM level right after the fill to flush out any of the yuckies.

I do wonder about his filter and the copper. I would do a deep, deep clean and make get as much of the water out of as I could. With him having glass instead of sand it should be safe BUT I am going off of gut more than anything.

Kim:kim:

Gents,
Just occured to me that as I have a built in remco pool cover draining the complete pool may be impossible due to the cover being in see pic below of the access panels to the cover in the pit below the pool at the deep end. I will see how far down I can get it but will it be ok if not all the water gets drained?

I also took a second pic of the the slight discolouration of the tile grout...would that be from the copper?

Also with the chemicals I have left over I assume I will need to get a few backs of salt as well on the ready. I think 5 should do it for now.

Hi Kim
Great minds think alike, I agree with the filter deep clean, but like you just going on gut feel. I think it would be worthwhile to get all the copper out and start off running clean

Buba, seem like you have enough of all the right stuff to get you pool started up, awesome

When you are ready to get going start the drain

Look up how to do a deep clean of your filter on this page: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter
Read up on chemicals here (we have a few neat tricks): https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
Test your fill source as recommended above and post the results

What level of salt does your SWG recommend? At 4000ppm that would be 83kg
BTW it will have to stay off for a couple of days for the salt to dissolve and for us to check that all the algae is gone

Could you flush the pool cover as you drain? Ie a cold hose into the cover area. The relatively warmer water in the cover area should then rise, hopefully taking the copper with it
Either that or drain, partial fill to mix in the water from the cover area, drain then final fill

Copper stains brown as far as I know. So that could be likely staining starting to appear

More than halfway through draining. the deep clean is making me very nervous...I am not entirely confident with it to be honest..I read through it last night. Pool plant room has limited height to which I hope wont be an issue see below pic:

SWG recommends 6000...Heater 3500...i will start at 4000 if salt light stays off i will leave as low as possible.

My swg currently set at 0% so is that ok or does it have to be off

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The swg can stay at 0, unless you can easily switch it off (i dont have one so dont know)

6000ppm is 125kg of salt, so I would make sure you have that amount available

If the deep clean is making you nervous (and yes not a lot of room to work or unions avail to easily disconnect) I think we could get away with some long backflush's and rinses, with the clean fill water, to thoroughly cleanse it before we switch to filter mode

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I've seen copper caught in filters, usually in cartridge filters. Agree that some good back washes will help a lot if you want to skip the deep clean.

Ok got to 300mm water level now excluding pit and the pump stopped?

Is that normal, does it rely on pressure of the water?

Also I have a second drain which the pump is sucking from which is under the pool cover so in theory it should drain all the way. Still not sure why the pump stopped - could be some debris in the pit? What do I do ?

Yes as soon as the pool is empty start the refill

So the drain and refill will have removed the majority of the copper
Hopefully this will leave any remaining copper in pipes and your cover area diluted enough not to cause you problems
The remaining level will slowly lower over time as you backwash and fill

The plan once the pool is filled is to do several long backwash and rinse cycles to clean your filter
Then we will balance your water in this order. This means addressing
ph - to 7.2
cya - to 30ppm
ta - depends on fill level
calcium - to 200

Then we will elevate the FC to 10 with bleach and keep it there ready for an OCLT

If you then pass we will then tweak your water chemistry

We will add the chemicals one by one, at least half an hour apart with the filter running

Dont add anything without checking first on here

This should get you off to a great start :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

I think you may have lost prime on your pump from low water level / sucking air

If you want you could add water to raise the level a bit and retry the pump

Or else just start the fill

Ok...I may start a deep clean when I start filling the pool and determine if I finish it :). Just filling some water now to see if I can get the pump out going again...if not might need to get a pump form the hardware? Any other way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.