Mansfield, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
New pool owner that just started this forum in mid December. As signature says, a service company is maintaining pool right now. Surprise, surprise, they have not mentioned anything to me about closing the pool. Why would they when they are collecting $200 a month? Our temps are starting to get into the 20s, if that makes any difference.

2 questions(besides should I do it):
1. when you close a pool, that means no more pump run time, no more chemicals, and no more cleaning?
2. is a pool cover required? I have a very oddly shaped pool, almost a triangle.

I read the "Closing an in ground pool" article in Pool School. It doesn't look too, too daunting. :?

I have never closed my pool. Yes, the pump still needs to run an hour or two per day and if temps approach freezing. Yes, you need to maintain PH and add some bleach every couple of weeks or less. Without a cover I don't think you could stop chlorinating and running the pump because we have too many 60, 70 or more degree days during winter. I would punt the pool company, keep it open and do your own maintenance, especially in the months you aren't swimming.

^^ Same here ^^. While I'm more south, it's still too chilly to swim. I keep the pool operating 365 days. Maintenance slows down tremendously which is nice. For a short while I may have to scoop some leaves out of the pool, but I never shut it down completely. Makes springtime easier as well. :)

I wouldn't close my pool if I lived in a slightly warmer climate than I currently do. Last night the air temp dropped into the 30's and when I woke up this morning it was 15 degrees. The pool still ice free, though I am sure it won't stay that way long.

My point though is that if you don't see well below freezing temps for an extended period of time, you have very little reason to worry. We've got a week of temps on the 20's coming up here in the St Louis area and that's the only reason I winterize my pump and filter. I leave the pool uncovered though and manually keep it clean with a leaf net (until I get my robot anyway).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.