Non Chlorine Pool

TA at 30 is low, but also be sure the sample is up to the upper line (high sensitivity). Telling us the quantity of chemicals added is also helpful to know.

Opps ,my instructions for TA was 2 sided, One for normal one for high senitivity and I did the wrong one! so TA is back to norm
oh and I added 4kg of borax and 3.3L of acid
these are my ones from this morning
FC- 7.5
CC- 0
PH-7.4
TA- 100
CYA-60

Well done, looking great!!! :)

Mark down 'borates 23 ppm' somewhere. Leave it there for now, and keep testing. Swim and Enjoy :)

Let's see how fast pH rises to 7.8

I'll bet that water feels great :)

The water feels amazing and is so sparkly clear! Everyone is sick of me telling them to come outside and look at the sparkly water LOL
Earlier on I added 50kg of salt and 12.5 kg of mag chloride as well and thanks for working out the borate level I'll write that in my book!
It will be interesting to see how fast my Ph rises.

If using PoolMath you will need to enter your 23ppm of borates in to the now column for borates as this will affect your CSI and acid calculations for pH adjustments.

Assuming there was no salt in your filtered ground fill water the 50kg of salt and and 12.5kg mag chloride will bring your salt up to ~3100ppm and this will go in the now column for salt and will also affect the CSI.

I'm uncertain of my calculations here but I think the 12.5kg of mag chloride will add ~625ppm to your total hardness (Ca + Mg). We don't really care too much about total hardness due to the solubility of of Magnesium but it will be counted as calcium hardness on a colourQ and I'm fairly certain it does the same on a Lamotte spinlab as used in many of the Aussie pool shops. It will create a precipitate when adding the hardness buffer in the CH CCL or Taylor test.

I haven't seen a CH result but given your fill water is at 90ppm your total hardness could be up around 715ppm and this is what the colourQ and spinLab will give.

Using a CH of 90ppm and a pH of 7.4 I estimate your CSI at -0.79.

When it comes to pH its not just the rate of change but also the point where the pH is stable. My pool wants to stay at 7.8 and will get there very quickly. After 5 weeks without testing or adjusting (don't ask) it was at 7.8, after adding 300ml of HCl to adjust to 7.6 the next morning it was back to 7.8.

Thanks Aus for the calculations, now, I'm having probs with the CH test it turns purple with particles in it, even when I do the sensitive test after 2 drops not blue so i'm not sure what to do with that?
Everything else has been stable, ph sits at 7.4

Hey MissFancypants,
With the ClearChoice kits. If the solution turns purple there are steps you can take that might help. Using the instruction sheet (the laminated one for Calcium, not the sticker on the lid) included in the kit, start the test again, this time adding 5 drops of calcium hardness titrating reagent after step 2 and before step 3. Then proceed with step 3 as usual. Add the five drops to the total obtained in step 6. Apologies if you've already tried that. If you have, you can test using the CH standard and make sure the reagents are all working ok.

If you need help with the steps or it's still not working let me know but I'm sure you'll get seriously expert help from the TFP crowd as well :D

Hey MissFancypants,
[FONT=&]With the ClearChoice kits. If the solution turns purple there are steps you can take that might help. Using the instruction sheet (the laminated one for Calcium, not the sticker on the lid) included in the kit, start the test again, this time adding 5 drops of calcium hardness titrating reagent after step 2 and before step 3. Then proceed with step 3 as usual. Add the five drops to the total obtained in step 6. Apologies if you've already tried that. If you have, you can test using the CH standard and make sure the reagents are all working ok.

If you need help with the steps or it's still not working let me know but I'm sure you'll get seriously expert help from the TFP crowd as well :D [/FONT]

As I read her post I was thinking of you and hoping you would see this. THANKS!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Aus for the calculations, now, I'm having probs with the CH test it turns purple with particles in it, even when I do the sensitive test after 2 drops not blue so i'm not sure what to do with that?
Everything else has been stable, ph sits at 7.4

Having just read about the metal ion interference with the CH test I was thinking of adding that but ran out of time - sorry. It's the 0.04mg/l of iron in the fill water that made me think of that.

Edit: The particles are the precipitated magnesium ions which is what the buffer is for - the more magnesium in the water the more particles you'll have. I use the standard test with a 10ml sample for the CH test to save on the reagents. I believe its also possible to determine the Mg hardness using the CH kit by running the test without the buffer to get total hardness, then total hardness - Ca hardness = Mg hardness.

Hey MissFancypants,
With the ClearChoice kits. If the solution turns purple there are steps you can take that might help. Using the instruction sheet (the laminated one for Calcium, not the sticker on the lid) included in the kit, start the test again, this time adding 5 drops of calcium hardness titrating reagent after step 2 and before step 3. Then proceed with step 3 as usual. Add the five drops to the total obtained in step 6. Apologies if you've already tried that. If you have, you can test using the CH standard and make sure the reagents are all working ok

If you need help with the steps or it's still not working let me know but I'm sure you'll get seriously expert help from the TFP crowd as well :D

Hi Brett I did try what was suggested on the laminated sheet but still got the same purple, I also tested the sample and that turned blue so its my water, does it have to turn blue? Thanks for your help

Just covering your question about the particles (floaters). These can be ignored and focus on the colour of the solution.

Here's what happens when I test...

After adding 10 drops of the first thing (calcium buffer), the test remains clear.

After adding the 4 dark blue drops (calcium detection reagent), and enough swirling, it turns Pink.

Then one drop at a time using the third thing, the titrating reagent, and at the endpoint the solution goes from pink to blue, but looks a tad purple because of the floaters.

- - - Updated - - -

This video might be helpful: JimSwim.com Performing Calcium Hardness Test with Taylor K-2006 - YouTube

Hi Brett I did try what was suggested on the laminated sheet but still got the same purple, I also tested the sample and that turned blue so its my water, does it have to turn blue? Thanks for your help

Hey MissFancypants,

Yes, it should normally turn blue, that's the tritration end point. The point where all available calcium has reacted with the titrating reagent and the number of titrating drops x 10ppm = the calcium value for the sensitive test. But something is not normal. I suspect you have interference from metal ions, your 0.04mg/L of iron. And if you haven't added any calcium since the refill then you also have a very low CH level, 90ppm or less.

By 'sample' I assume your talking about the standard solution that came with the kit?

Heres a Taylor clip for the CH test with interference

The Taylor R 0012 is the same as the CCL titrating reagent and their red 'looks' a bit purple or purple/red to me.

IMG_4887.jpg
This is what it looks like after I add the titrating stuff, thats after 4 drops and its goes purple from the 3rd one
I did test my water from the tap and it flashed purple then turned blue so I'm thinking its from what I ve put in the pool, I'm not really worried about the calcium hardness as the pool is seasonal and theres no staining or build up on anything so it hopefully its in a safe range

- - - Updated - - -

Hey MissFancypants,

Yes, it should normally turn blue, that's the tritration end point. The point where all available calcium has reacted with the titrating reagent and the number of titrating drops x 10ppm = the calcium value for the sensitive test. But something is not normal. I suspect you have interference from metal ions, your 0.04mg/L of iron. And if you haven't added any calcium since the refill then you also have a very low CH level, 90ppm or less.

By 'sample' I assume your talking about the standard solution that came with the kit?

Heres a Taylor clip for the CH test with interference

The Taylor R 0012 is the same as the CCL titrating reagent and their red 'looks' a bit purple or purple/red to me.

Yes the sample in the kit, my test works exactly as yours Needsajet, until the titrating agent then I get the pretty purple colour

View attachment 56740
This is what it looks like after I add the titrating stuff, thats after 4 drops and its goes purple from the 3rd one
I did test my water from the tap and it flashed purple then turned blue so I'm thinking its from what I ve put in the pool, I'm not really worried about the calcium hardness as the pool is seasonal and theres no staining or build up on anything so it hopefully its in a safe range

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the sample in the kit, my test works exactly as yours Needsajet, until the titrating agent then I get the pretty purple colour

That is a very nice colour. I suspect its metal ion interference, high magnesium and low calcium. As you've said and as recommended by TFP there is no absolute need for calcium in a vinyl pool. That pic is the low sensitivity so the third drop would indicate a CH of around 75ppm which is close to your lab test for your ground water supply. Doing the interference test in the low sensitivity wont help because your already past the end point before adding the indicator and your very close to being past the end point with the high sensitivity too.

If it was my pool I would just leave it be, use 75ppm CH for PoolMath, and see how it tests after summer. If you don't get any significant rain your CH will slowly creep up from the calcium in your fill water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.