New Build for 1st Time Pool Owner

Dec 26, 2016
Little Rock, AR
Hello! I found this site and have found myself glued to it over the past few days trying to prepare for the day our pool is finished. There is a lot of great information here that I'm trying to absorb. I wish I had found it earlier so I could have floated some of our design ideas for input. It is always a challenge doing construction work during the winter months, but I'm guessing we are probably 50% into our project at this point, and wet conditions are certainly slowing things down. As long as the pool is finished by spring, I suppose there is no reason to be in a hurry about anything. Anyway, here is a little info about our pool:

120 pf gunite with a french grey plaster (4 LED lights/4 returns)
PB says it is 25K gallons (3.5 - 6' deep)
Attached raised spa with spillover (1 LED light)
Flagstone coping
Broomed concrete decking for now (may score/stain at some point in the future)
PB uses all Pentaire equipment, but I don't have specifics yet on exact models
Salt Water Chlorinator
Cartridge filter
400K BTU spa/pool heater
36" sheer descent
Rock waterfall

Thanks to all the information I've found on this site, I'll be ordering the test kit soon. I've also identified that I will likely need to seal my flagstone with the dry treat, but ouch that stuff is expensive! I Found it on amazon for $600 for 5 gallons. I'm also considering the WamBam fence that I found out about on here. Anyway, I just wanted to share some information and introduce myself. I'm going to try to attach some pics of the design.

IMG_4056.jpgIMG_4054.jpgIMG_4055.jpgIMG_4379.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Looks like a beautiful pool in the making.

Be sure to get that test kit ordered. TF-100 is the best value and has all the tests you need. Try it out on your tap water when you get it.

Check in when you have updates!

It is me or do PBs simply have no idea how many gallons a pool is or will be? I've decided I'll be taking note of my water meter reading before I fill our pool in coming weeks for a better estimate else I'll be kidding myself.

Our pool is 17x35 ish from 3.5 to 8 ft and they came up with 20-22K. Previous size estimates we received were 3-6 ft at 15-16K gallons. They're all over the place [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about that myself. I was thinking the gallons on mine were actually being quoted a little on the low side, but I certainly don't know enough to question it at this point. Checking the meter is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. I did consider buying a cheap meter that attaches to the water hose, but I think you probably get what you pay for and the accuracy would be questionable. I'll definitely ask him to confirm his estimate again before we fill.

HI! I love the design! Now share a pic of where the pool is at now. What has been done so far?

Please get the models of the equipment so we can look it over and advice if needed.

We have a couple of ways to figure out the size of your pool. The first one is in Pool Math (blue oval at the top of this page). Look towards the bottom and you will see it.

Another way we have is after it is filled with water. We have you tweak your PH to dial in the size. I will give more details when you have water.

Kim:kim:

HI! I love the design! Now share a pic of where the pool is at now. What has been done so far?

Please get the models of the equipment so we can look it over and advice if needed.

We have a couple of ways to figure out the size of your pool. The first one is in Pool Math (blue oval at the top of this page). Look towards the bottom and you will see it.

Another way we have is after it is filled with water. We have you tweak your PH to dial in the size. I will give more details when you have water.

Here are a couple of recent pics:

412598019548928acbff10179c6ddad3.jpg

c0f683f5a5c27abc69ed571391579748.jpg

Tile and coping done, but a long way to go. I know it is just part of the process, but looking at my destroyed backyard is really messing with my OCD right now [emoji846]

If you have read many of the build threads you will have seen me tease with "Let the mud begin" when the digging starts LOL instead of "let the fun begin" :roll: It will get better but until then just don't look at it or carry a copy of your design so you can look at time and KNOW it will all be worth it in the end!

You are where I share a set of links for new pool owners. It is a lot of info. so I like to get it to you a little early so you will have to time to read and reread it. Once you start using the info it will all start sinking in.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Do you know which test kit your PB is providing? Find out and let us know so we can fill in any holes it might have.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Plumbing mostly done. Just a few more connections to make and backfill hopefully early next week. I'm a little curious about the plumbing runs since I ended up locating the equipment pad about 50' from the nearest edge of the pool. The skimmers are both on the opposite side of the equipment and one of them and the spa ends up with pipe runs being approximately 130' from the pad due to running the length of the pool. PB doesn't seem to think this is much of an issue.

IMG_4463.JPG

3aea0d4445a1d691cff057926152ae04.jpg

If weather holds out, should finish plumbing and get drainage installed next week to then prep for decking.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd share a better pic of the tile.

b83ffa15417adfd032eb6f57934805f7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a lot of pipe but that is to be expected with space. If you PB thinks it will be fine I am sure it will be.

It looks like they took a lot of care placing that tile! Is it as straight as it looks? I like how random the colors are. Good job!

Our lot is 3 acres, so we had plenty of room to work with. Yeah the tile looks really good. Wife and I went back and forth between a more traditional blue tile and this one you see. I was more in favor of the blue, so of course we went more "earthy" [emoji846]. As you can tell from the pics, we are sort of out in the country in a very natural setting, so she's probably right. I won't be convinced until there's water in the pool.

I haven't snapped a pic of it, but the PB installed a nice brown and tan small square glass tile pattern on the spa spillover ledge. It looks really nice with the flagstone coping and waterline tile.

My test kit finally made it in! I'm guessing at some point I'll need to test my tap water to see what I'll be filling with, but I'm sure I'm still a couple of months out from filling as things have really slowed down with the weather. Any reason to go ahead and test the fill water now? If so, what tests should I run on it?

ee46ccc7a19c553ee6a01826f2798643.jpg

It is up to you. Me? I have to play with my new toys as soon as I my hands on them LOL!

When you do test your fill water write it down and put in on the front of your test log/journal so you will always have it for background knowledge.

You will test for everything except for CYA as that has to be added.

I finally tested my tap water and here are my results:

FC: 3
CC: 0.5
CH: 100
TA: 20

I didn't test CYA yet. I hope I did everything correctly. Only thing I wasn't sure about was TA as the instructions said to drop reagent until it turned red. Mine turned pink after one drop and linked after 2. It never turned red and didn't seem to get darker after about 2 drops, but maybe I stopped too soon.

These results seem reasonable?

What is the PH?

With TA what you are looking for is more of color change towards redish. Have you watched the videos? They are on the site you got the test kit from. There is a link in my siggy below.

To tell you the truth there is no "reasonable" with fill water. Too many factors come into play. It is what it is. That is why it needs to be tested and noted. That will help you know what to have on hand when you fill the pool and then again when you have to add water.

Sorry it has taken me so long to provide any updates. Things just sort of slowed down, but they are really picking back up now. We got some drainage pipe installed about three weeks ago, the decking poured and fountain built last week, and equipment set today (included list in my signature). They started cleaning the pool up and appear to be getting ready for plaster sometime soon. Should have electrician out later this week to hook up all the equipment and stone guys to build my sitting wall and planter. I'm going to attach a few recent pics. I'm starting to get excited again :)

Oh yeah, Kat to answer your last question to me it looks like I'll need some Borax and Baking Soda!

https://goo.gl/photos/MD2zJpapv9EFYaVA6

https://goo.gl/photos/CfVyXefePiAfah3P8

https://goo.gl/photos/dwoTCNRYfufMAmG28

https://goo.gl/photos/4YTTtv9Augaxx7N16

https://goo.gl/photos/GGkgD82t4GiUrXjM9

https://goo.gl/photos/XcigCwPjUpDC3bUC6

https://goo.gl/photos/CEo7G1nMh68aEPza9

Edit: Apparently I can't get the photos to embed from google photos, so unfortunately just going to post some links. If anybody knows how to get the site to embed from google photos, let me know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.