Pool Build underway

chayne

Bronze Supporter
now that i got the pool, i wanted to work the ground and get things level. so i tilled up the ground and got it pretty level using a long 2x4 with a 4ft level attached. i was very surprised at how close i was actually able to get. so i have tamped the ground and put some pavers under where the legs will go. if no rain tomorrow i am going to dig down under the pavers to set them down so i can put my anti-fatigue mats under the pool. i wont be putting the mats down until spring but would like to get this all done now so i wont have to worry about much when it is time to put pool up.

Attachments

• pool build 11 26 16.jpg
    pool build 11 26 16.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 412
How far down did you till? We try to use undisturbed ground under the pool. Dig down to the solid instead of adding loose dirt to bring it up. Did you water the dirt to help settle it? What will you put over the dirt to protect it from rain and wash out?

That site looks great but I want it to be like that and level when you put water in the pool and it settles.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

i actually only tilled down about 2-3 inches. i then removed all the loose dirt to expose solid ground. there is very little loose dirt. i have been wetting the ground down and tamping. i am not adding loose ground to the low side.

That is THE way to do it! Nice job! Better to do this kind of hard labor when it is somewhat cooler! Good luck with the pavers!

Kim:kim:

well i got the pavers sunk in the ground. one side i had to sink them down quite a bit more. as you can see the lines on the ground i have got to lower the ground about an inch and a half that way once i cut the foam around the pavers it will be flush. man i sure wish it was april so i could put the pool up and jump in. this thing is perfectly level. i went around and leveled each paver with the one next to it using a 4ft level. when i got to the end the last two lined up so perfect i was totally shocked.

Re: Self Leveling compound - is there such a thing?

I don't want to "hi-jack" this thread.

Chayne, I am interested in the affect the anti-fatigue mats will have. I wonder if the water weight might squash them pretty flat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure they will squash some but not anticipating too much. i wish i knew a way to test the mats on a small scale. now my mind will be going crazy trying to do a "myth busters" small scale. if anybody has any good ideas please let me hear them. i would take one of my 2' x 2' mats and test it somehow.

Projected water weight divided by the area of the pool bottom should give you a rough estimate of pounds-per-square-inch pressure on the mat material. Take that psi value and multiply it by the area of a 3.5"x3.5" test sample (roughly the cross sectional area of a 4x4 piece of lumber). Then go find some dumbbell weights to rest on top of the 4x4 which acts like a plunger transferring the force from the weights to the test sample. Let it sit there and see what kind of deformation you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch just reading that gives me a headache.

From what i have gotten so far in the formula that JoyfulNoise have given i came up with 213 PSI. does that mean i need to find 213lbs of dumbbells now?

These mats are 1/2" thick. if i lose 1/4" i should still be good. i was expecting to lose about 1/4" so that is why i left my pavers 1/4" above ground level. hopefully i should be good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i am hoping to have pool up by mid march. i am going to be installing a solar heater with the irrigation pipe. going to place it behind the back fence and run the lines up to the pool from an extra small pump that came with the pool. going to pull the water from the extra inlet on the pool. this is how it should look

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.