Help! I'm stuck in the middle of closing!

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
Hi all! I decided to close my pool myself this year. I've been able to get all the lines blown except for the main drain. I've used an air compressor and a shop vac and neither will blow. It's going down to 28 tonight so I really need to get this done today. Any suggestions on what to do???

Thank you!

Depending on your plumbing, there are a few things you can do. A lot of people, from what I have read, place foam down the piping for the main drain. This usually, only works when connected with the skimmer.

Below, please find a thread (Post # 10) which describes the experience a member has had with a pancake compressor and how to work more efficiently!

Closing: blosing out lines, water level and then some

Please note that it takes an extended amount of time before any damage can be done. Therefore, you are safe for a while. Try using the compressor and allowing it to run, not shutting off and building pressure. If you start seeing little tiny bubbles near the main drain, allow it to run for a few more minutes and then close the valve, shut off the compressor, creating an "air lock". You may need some goggles to see clearly towards the bottom.

If you do not mind spending around $350, you could purchase the Cyclone + accessories, which IMO is worth the $$ not to have any aggravation during the closing time. Please keep us posted!

Sorry no one had an answer for you. I think as long as your pipes are below frost level you should be ok. How deep is it near the main drain?

Thank you Zea! It appears that this forum has gotten way too big! Quick answers while in the process of whatever help is needed isn't aailale any more. That is sad.

The main drains are in 5ft depth but the lines are only about 3 ft heading to the pad.

Depending on your plumbing, there are a few things you can do. A lot of people, from what I have read, place foam down the piping for the main drain. This usually, only works when connected with the skimmer.

Below, please find a thread (Post # 10) which describes the experience a member has had with a pancake compressor and how to work more efficiently!

Closing: blosing out lines, water level and then some

Please note that it takes an extended amount of time before any damage can be done. Therefore, you are safe for a while. Try using the compressor and allowing it to run, not shutting off and building pressure. If you start seeing little tiny bubbles near the main drain, allow it to run for a few more minutes and then close the valve, shut off the compressor, creating an "air lock". You may need some goggles to see clearly towards the bottom.

If you do not mind spending around $350, you could purchase the Cyclone + accessories, which IMO is worth the $$ not to have any aggravation during the closing time. Please keep us posted!

Thanks Catanzaro. I've read that post and to me....it's as clear as mud! I do not understand at all how he was able to use the air compressor without using a hose!

I appreciate your suggestions, but no, I won't be buying a cyclone. My shop vac worked beautifully on all other lines, so it's not necessary.

I guess I'm going to have to pay someone to finish this. The cover is almost completely on the bottom of the pool now as well. The man that opened the pool rolled the cover up dirty and it was so slimy that I lost control of it. And, the anchors were screwed in so tightly I can't get them to move!

I am beyond angry at this point! But, fortunately, warmer weather is called for for the rest of the week so I should be able to get this done without damage.

I appreciate your response!

Thank you Zea! It appears that this forum has gotten way too big! Quick answers while in the process of whatever help is needed isn't aailale any more. That is sad.

In fairness, Midtngal, many of the mods and guides active this time of year are not familiar with closing issues because they don't close, and many northern seasonal closers don't check these threads as frequently this time of year because their season ended two months ago. So while it s terribly unfortunate that no one was available during your moment of need, it's also worthwhile to remember that this forum is run entirely by volunteers and donations.

So with that said, if you end up hiring out the final bit of closing, please report back what the solution was in your case, with adequate detail, so that we may help others going forward. Thanks in advance!

I think that most people that close and could helped have already closed and no longer will show up on the board until next spring. There were many post with shop vacs and compressors. There all on the snow blower forums now helping.

Thanks Catanzaro. I've read that post and to me....it's as clear as mud! I do not understand at all how he was able to use the air compressor without using a hose

There is a thread at your pump basket that needs to be removed and an NPT fitting placed in there. This is where you push air through. It is best to isolate the return side with a black rubber plug in the pump basket. Also, please make sure the valve is closed towards the skimmer. This way, any air pushed in the system will only travel one way, towards the main drain. If this does not make sense, please post pictures of your pump basket and I will guide you along.

Regarding this comment, I do not believe that the forum has become to large and that quick answers are not available. I do not sign on to the forum as frequently and quite honestly a turn around time of 24 hrs., in my opinion is very efficient. A large forum is best as not everyone is proficient in all areas.

You have gone to far to hire a professional (LOL) to close your pool, especially for one simple main drain. If you have to go this route, try the air compressor first, before picking up the phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a picture of the fitting needed. Also, picture the bottom thread as the pump. Air compressor attaches to fitting. This fitting, I use to remove water from a garden hose in the winter so no freezing occurs. Next time, there is a nice day and above freezing temperatures, I go and wash the car if in bad shape.

IMG_2568.jpg

Bring the screw that your removed off the pump and your attachment on the air compressor to either Lowes or Home Depot and they will help you match up the proper sizes, etc.

I just did mine first time yesterday. shop vac did not work for me on drain/skimmers so I used my pancake compressor and just put a blow gun with rubber tip into the drain port on the pump with pump lid on and pressure side valves (filter and bypass) closed. Then I just blew out drain with skimmer valve shut and vice-versa. Worked great for me, but I'm new at this.

I live in Canada and I can't blow my main drain either, and the frost level is 4ft.

I use 6 ft of 1 inch foam and push it down the drain pipe in the skimmer(and I mean push as the water wants to push it back up), and then seal with a rubber compression stopper. I have had no issues with a freezing drain pipe, as this works every time. Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.