Ok to leave plastic pool steps outside during winter or keep in garage?

I have a set of pool steps that are completely plastic and filled with sand in part.. and i'd imagine some water too, did my best to dump them out when i pulled em from the pool onto the deck.

As of now i have them in my garage, which itself can reach 34F or so during the winter in the NE..

I'm wondering if i should have just left them out up on the deck throughout the winter.. space is at a premium in my garage right now, its too hard or impossible to move to the house.

Might they warp or split if the water inside would freeze? This was my fear, hence i brought them in.. i'd rather not be out $175 for steps if i can avoid it, but then again, maybe some others can comment on experiences?

Thanks in advance

If they are filled with sand there should be a way to to dump the sand and water out. You can store them on your deck but I would cover them with a tarp to protect them from the sun and such. I would lay them as flat as you can to avoid warping.

Kim:kim:

If they are filled with sand there should be a way to to dump the sand and water out. You can store them on your deck but I would cover them with a tarp to protect them from the sun and such. I would lay them as flat as you can to avoid warping.

Kim:kim:

Yeah they have sand in them, however its a tiny hole to get 50lbs or more out of them, so i'd probably just leave the sand in.. by lay as flat as can, unsure.. maybe steps facing the wood floor of the deck so any water comes out of the few holes on the sides (long ways?) would be the trick + a tarp?

Hopefully they dont warp, i guess ill learn the lesson the hard cash way if so.

I pull mine out and push them off to the side. Done. Have never had an issue. The steps are going on 4 years old and I live in SW PA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.