Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price check on aisle 9

1. Back To Top    #1

Price check on aisle 9

Did the math and I was suprised.....but then again I wasn't.

My LPS has a case - (4) 1 gallon jugs - of Liquid Chlorine (10%) for $15. That's not a sale price, it's thier everyday standard price. After doing the math I found it would take a dozen clorox jugs to equal the one case of the Liquid Chlorine. So, back to the math. The case of LC after tax is about $16.50. The dozen jugs of clorox after tax is about $19.50 at wally world. Not a bad savings, and less jugs too.

So I still get to see my buddies at the pool shop every week

sS
    16,000 Gallon Inground Pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Price check on aisle 9

Still expensive for my area, but many people can get better chlorine deals at the pool store than bleach. It's 4.25 per 2.5 gal 10.5% refill here, but there's always buy 2 get 1 free going on, plus the punchcard for buy 10 get 11th free.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

4 gallons is 512 oz. Adjusting 10% down to 6%, means you need 854 oz of 6% to be the equivalent. If you are looking at 96 oz jugs, that is almost 9 jugs. If you are looking at 182 oz jugs that is somewhat less than 5 jugs.

If you are getting one dozen 96 oz jugs for $19.50, 9 of them cost about $14.65. So it looks to me like the clorox is less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Over here we pay 7$ for 5.2 galls 12.5% [comes in a 20ltr reusable container]

Happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frankthailand
    Over here we pay 7$ for 5.2 galls 12.5% [comes in a 20ltr reusable container]

Happy swims
    Frank
    Can I order some and have it shipped...Of course shipping would probably cost me $50...Nevermind.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got 8 jugs of 12.5 % from The Great Escape for less than $20...that is $2.50 per gallon.
    Not that bad!!! That is 128 ounces per jug.
    Beave

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool store has 5gal carboys at 16.99 for 12.5%. Maryland law makes it prohibitive for the PS to refill. The ones they have are filled and shipped in. Some of these I suspect make it to the store room for winter. I tested two that I bought because I was not getting FC levels I expected. They tested at 7.5%. The 182oz containers from Walmart are a better deal if you can't be sure your getting fresh Chlorine. The only places that have the bulk tanks are the wholesale pool suppliers and cleaning chemical companies. All the ones around here will not sell retail to the consumer. As I made calls, I was told that some companies will use 15% but only claim 10% on the label to allow for degradation.

If anyone in the Balt/Md area knows where bulk refills may be obtained, please post!
    Geoshecks
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just purchased one gallon bottles of 12.5% liquid shock for $2.99ea. at a local Christmas Tree Store. Not the best I have done, but not too shabby.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

9. Back To Top    #9

Christmas Tree Store
    16,000 Gallon Inground Pool
    Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I saw that liquid shock at the christmas tree store too. I was wary though that it might be old, or not as strong as advertised. Let me know how it works for you! (BTW its really called the christmas tree store, and they have all kinds of neat stuff this time of year- beach decor, tiki decorations, americana decor, snacks, picnic items, etc. Like a big party store!)
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

11. Back To Top    #11

I just bought a case (4 gals) 10% Liquid Chlorine at my local Meijers Supermarket for $10.00. So far, thats been the best price for me and I am going back to buy more today. I had been buying it from a local PS for $12.00.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by h2ctpdjl
    I just bought a case (4 gals) 10% Liquid Chlorine at my local Meijers Supermarket for $10.00. So far, thats been the best price for me and I am going back to buy more today. I had been buying it from a local PS for $12.00.
    Where in Indiana are you...I am in NW indiana...Lake County...do you have a Great Escape near you...12.5% for $2.50 a gallon...worth getting...I have had a lot of **** in my pool...Took it up to 10ppm with less than a gallon of the stuff, and it held there over night. Of course that was with solar cover on. I just think I get a lot of evaporation. When cover is on my FC will hold for three days or more.
    Beave

13. Back To Top    #13

I am down in southern Indiana. No store around here with that name. I am only paying $2.50 a gallon of the 10%, so I am happy with that. I just bought 3 more cases. I know exactly how much I need to add to my pool to raise it 1ppm. Same for the regular 6% bleach. Thanks to converting to the BBB method, taking care of my pool has never been easier.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dlduvall
    I saw that liquid shock at the christmas tree store too. I was wary though that it might be old, or not as strong as advertised. Let me know how it works for you! (BTW its really called the christmas tree store, and they have all kinds of neat stuff this time of year- beach decor, tiki decorations, americana decor, snacks, picnic items, etc. Like a big party store!)
    I bought a case of 4 bottles and the date stamped on the case read, "09 APR 09", so I am assuming it's still relatively fresh. I don't have the proper test equipment to actually test the percentage of sodium hypochlorite in solution, so I'll have to wait to use to find out, probably in a few days.
    22,000 gallon ig vinyl solar heated (panels and cover) zeolite filtrate

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks johnsjets!
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteve
    Christmas Tree Store
    It's owned by Bed, Bath & Beyond. Has some of the same stock but probably a lot of close-outs, too.

Sue

17. Back To Top    #17

We just went to Wally World for bleach (they've had empty Wally Value shelves for about 3 weeks now) and they've replaced their bottles with new labels...and raised the price from $2.63 to $3.98 I guess it's back to Lowe's for the 10% gal for $4.98 Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area we could find 12%? I've checked with all the pool stores and the closest I can come is the 10% at Lowes.
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie
    We just went to Wally World for bleach (they've had empty Wally Value shelves for about 3 weeks now) and they've replaced their bottles with new labels...and raised the price from $2.63 to $3.98 I guess it's back to Lowe's for the 10% gal for $4.98 Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area we could find 12%? I've checked with all the pool stores and the closest I can come is the 10% at Lowes.
    I wish I could help...I love the 12.5%. I only use about 30-45 ounces a day and it keeps me right at target. Man I was using a full gallon of 6% in two days...This price is great...it comes to $2.49 a gallon...I wish I could ship it to ya!!! I think Fed Ex would frown on that though!!!
    Beave
    Beave

19. Back To Top    #19

Oh well Beave...it's the thought that counts It just occurred to me that I may find it at a cleaning supply store. I'll have to do some homework on it! Right now, we're only using 1 qt of 10% daily. But I expect that to change when we get to start swimming every day! So I'd really like to find the 12% (or higher).
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    I just got 8 jugs of 12.5 % from The Great Escape for less than $20...that is $2.50 per gallon.
    Not that bad!!! That is 128 ounces per jug.
    That is where I buy my Chlorine. Don't much care about pennies, it is cheap, and I was sick of tossing 8 gallon jugs or more of Chlorox in the recycling all the time.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast