PureChlor SWG Doesn't maintain chlorine level settings

Hello,
I have a PureChlor SWG that is generating too much chlorine (FC ~10ppm) now that the weather has cooled off in Phoenix. The unit has an adjustment for chlorine generation (in addition to on/off, and "super chlor") though all settings are reset to default each time the pool pump starts. It appears that the power supply unit is wired to only receive power when the pump timer delivers power to the pump, which I suspect is resetting the settings when the timer stops delivering power to the pump and the SWG power supply.

Looking at the manual for the SWG, it appears that the wiring is correct, the unit should only receive power while the pump is powered.
Manual: http://www.mypurechlor.com/files/manual.pdf

Does anyone else have this unit and know how to persist settings for chlorine level through pump cycles? Should I rewire power to the SWG Power Supply so that it is always powered?

I've disconnected the salt cell for now to let the FC drop, though that won't be a reasonable solution for me.

Thanks!
Brian

shouldn't it have a flow switch? my Haywards have a flow switch so they can receive power all the time and operate correctly. The pros remember settings and the regular ones are operated by a manual dial so settings only change when touched.

Brian,
I have a purechlor swg and have noticed something similar of late. It is also controlled by my pump timer, and it looks to be defaulting to the 1st of 8 chlorine setting. It was not doing this until just recently. I thought maybe it had something to do with the water temps and not needing to make high chlorine levels, perhaps defaulting to the lowest setting.

Did you ever get this resolved?
Chris

Hey Chris,
I'm slacking, and resorted to unplugging the salt cell for the past couple of weeks to let the chlorine levels drop. It's interesting that yours is defaulting to 1/8th where mine defaults to 5/8. I'll send the vendor a note this evening, referencing this thread, and will share any data I receive.

On another note, does anyone know if there's a negative ramification for too much chlorine in a pool that isn't being used?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Abycat, the system does have a flow sensor, which is part of the reason I feel that the SWG controller should always be powered, contrary to the instructions. I'll reach out to the vendor and post data back. Thanks!

From Solaxx (PureChlor vendor):
Is this a new installation or have you had this system for a while? This usually happens during initial setup if the system is programmed and then shut off too quickly. You need to set the program and then leave the system in that setting for approximately 10 minutes prior to shutting off the system. This allows the setting to be stored in the memory prior to shutting the system off.
I haven't tried leaving the pump/swg running for 10 minutes after changing the chlorine generation level yet, just sharing data.

Thanks for the info, this could explain my situation also. I've made changes to the chlorine level and then shut the pump off shortly thereafter the last couple of times. I've dropped my pump run time down considerably given the decreasing amount of sunlight hitting the pool and conversely lowered the chlorine output as my fc levels are around 10 lately. I wish purechlor had better documentation. All I've found thus far is the install instructions (same noted in this post) and an advertising pamphlet that gives little info on what each setting means (or long it takes to stay resident in memory).

Just to be clear on the setup - no SWG manufacturer I know of instructs the user to setup an SWG with the flow switch as an operational control point. The flow switch is a fail-safe device meant to protect the system in case an unwanted condition occurs (SWG ON / Pump OFF). They are never intended to be used for operational control for fear of failure that could cause the unwanted condition to persist. SWG's generate chlorinated water by generating chlorine gas (Cl2) and hydrogen gas (H2) inside the cell. Chlorine gas is very soluble in water and will be converted into FC rather quickly. Hydrogen gas, on the other hand, is not very soluble in water and it is typically seen leaving the plumbing as tiny bubbles when the cell is operating. A cell with no water flow in it will generate a mixture of chlorine and hydrogen gas which is an explosive mixture (chlorine is an oxidizer and hydrogen is a fuel). The gas mixture can detonate very easily from something as simple as sunlight, heat or an electrical discharge. There have been cases posted of people going out to their equipment pads and finding the SWG cell blown apart from accidental detonation of the gas mixture. So, for that reason, SWG's should never be operated without a flow switch and the flow switch should never be used as an operational control point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Did the 10-minute wait time solve it for you? If not, reducing pump run-time might get you through until the problem can be solved.

To circle back on one of your questions, and assuming you have CYA in your water, 10 ppm FC isn't hurting anything.

I've read on several other posts that high chlorine levels can skew ph readings, thus my concern about having an fc reading of 10. What level does fc begin impacting ph readings? My cya is 50ish right now.

Once the FC is over 10ppm, there is more of a chance of getting a false high result. If you were right around 10ppm, I would say you could still do the test for pH (quickly) before the color started to be affected by the excess chlorine but, if your FC was very high, say near 20ppm, then there's definitely no way to get an accurate pH reading using the phenol red indicator.

Needsajet,
Thank you! Excited to be here.

Chris,
I did validate that my chlorine generation level settings persisted through a power cycle, after setting and leaving the SWG powered. The vendor recommended 10 minutes post setting change, though I can't validate, I left mine for several hours.

Cheers,
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.