Started the SLAM.....

Okay, Steve. An FC of 5.5 is edgy. With a CYA of 50, you need to target 6-8ppm FC. With a CYA of maybe 70, you need 8-10ppm FC. Add some FC now up to 8ppm to be on the safe side.

How does your water look? I know you said it was clear, but can you post a pic so we can double-check your idea of clear? I don't want you worrying about TA if the pool isn't "crystal" TFP clear yet.

OK I have been pondering on whether to ask this question but my beautiful baby keeps asking me if I can add epsom salts to the spa after I get it up and running and I have said several times that I do not know what it could do to the chemistry of the pool.

has anybody done this,if so what effects did you have to deal with?

Steve

No Epsom Salt!

It's magnesium sulfate. While magnesium isn't a big deal (it's compounds are more soluble in water than similar calcium compounds), the sulfates are very bad for a pool. Sulfate levels above 300ppm can lead to "sulfate-attack" of the plaster and, if an SWG is present, sulfates will reduce the life of a cell.

Leave the Epsom salt for the bathtub....

- - - Updated - - -

PS - If you want to improve the feel of your pool and spa water, add borates instead.

Fwiw, I added Epsom salts to my stand alone hot tub a few years back and he 15 y/o pump failed. Repair guy was "certain" it was the Epsom salts and said never to do it again. I kinda thought the 15 years might ave ad something to do with it...but now I'm def disinclined to do it again ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depends on the heater. Sulfates can enhance certain forms of metal corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.