Inherited pool

Ah gotcha! You're right it's probably the pool light.

sorry, another question. If you look in the first pic of this thread there are two pipes near the pump intake. One goes to the pump but the other has been cut and capped. I was looking at the skimmer intake this morning and there are two holes in there. One is connected to the suction side pool cleaner and the other open. I never see any flow going into that hole and there is small debris in the skimmer which doesn't go down that hole either. So did the pool have two suction lines from the one skimmer and why would a previous owner have capped one line? Maybe that line was leaking underground? This also implies surface debris never properly gets skimmed....thoughts?

Many skimmer housings have two holes in the bottom. One hole goes to the pump (you can see debris going down that hole), the other often goes to the main drain(s), or sometimes to an intake that is below the skimmer box in the side of the pool. Normally there is a part called a "diverter plate" that goes in the bottom of the skimmer housing. It contains a float, and a small "flap" that can be adjusted to restrict flow from below the plate. The float is designed so that if the water in the pool gets too low, the float seals off the main skimmer area and allows the pump to continue to pull water from the drain or intake, preserving the pump from running dry and destroying itself.

Is the hole that is not suctioning open at the bottom, or is it sealed? If it appears to be open, do you have a drain in the bottom of the pool, or can you see a hole in the side of the pool below the skimmer?

Thanks for the reply. I did some reading on pool drains and it makes sense. The second hole is probably the equalizer line that ties into my main drain. But there's no weir or valves installed in the skimmer (or even a basket for that matter) so I'll need to fix that.

my next question then is what's the capped stub near the pump for?

It is possible that the was originally plumbed to the bottom drain and there was an issue with the plumbing line so it was capped and reply bed to the skimmer. Or it could have been for a suction cleaner.

Sounds like you need a skimmer divertervalveand a basket. Inyo Pools or Sunplay are good places for stuff like that.

It is possible that the was originally plumbed to the bottom drain and there was an issue with the plumbing line so it was capped and reply bed to the skimmer. Or it could have been for a suction cleaner.

Sounds like you need a skimmer divertervalveand a basket. Inyo Pools or Sunplay are good places for stuff like that.

When I get some time I'm going to try and see if the main drain is drawing water. Do you recommend I cut the cap and try to run a snake or something down it?

Before doing any cutting or whatnot, I'd recommend you get a diverter valve, close it so all water is being pulled from that second pipe, and then see if you can get things to get sucked into the drain (e.g. take a pool brush, and brush some debris gently towards the drain - if it gets pulled into the drain, you have your answer).

Also Often times it is a line for ground water remediation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.