New Build - Long Island, NY

Hit a minor set back this past Friday. Apparently there was a drywell that went down 22'+ feet in our "deep end."
81E0D7BA-4AE7-4E27-BFE9-8AD6E84B4695_zpsa2q1za66.jpg~original

My husband was a bit upset (but he handled it well) because the drywell would have solved a bunch of our problems (past and present)...if we had only known about it. Apparently it was attached to our old cesspool that we had removed 15+ years ago.

This is where we are today:
64C8B11F-8D0E-4830-AA7C-05B4A7B19E24_zpssp0oxefz.jpg~original

806EF2F6-043D-49B1-A9BC-E0A5C929E0FA_zpsyusufq91.jpg~original

Moving right along!

This is from Thursday
41A61C82-538E-41B0-A031-04150DDB57F2_zps0vdzfymc.jpg~original

B57AE74E-28CB-4643-B6F7-30678F51A971_zps7pb1966d.jpg~original

994938D9-CC8A-4DE1-A826-9FF46260318E_zps7fdpbarq.jpg~original

They started plumbing today, but I didn't get any photos because I didn't get home until after dark.

PB was here today and spoke with my husband. Looks like we're doing 8 jets in the spa, and 5 jets in the pool: 4 on the side opposite the skimmers and one by the steps that are on the skimmer side. (to circulate water by the steps.) 4 lights will be placed along the side of the pool closest to the house and the spa will have one light.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a corner step in mine. Useless as far as I'm concerned. Just makes vacuuming and brushing harder because you'll get these tight little corners that nothing fits in.

Been out of pool mode for a bit. We've been focusing on the patio and I convinced my husband to add a fireplace by the spa...which meant extending the patio. :D Travertine is ordered and the landscapers have started setting the grade for the concrete slab for the patio. So we're moving along.

Now we're back onto the pool. I've requested 4 samples of the PebbleSheen from the PB: Irish Mist, Seafoam Green, Desert Gold and French Grey. I hope to have those by next week. I've received some glass tile samples (all 1"x1" or slightly smaller) and there are a couple that I think would go nicely with the PebbleSheen colors. We're also considering using the tiles on the top of the spa instead of travertine and we'd like to incorporate the tiles into the steps & benches throughout the pool.

So here's my concern,
How hard is it to maintain the small tiles/grout lines? Our PB suggested we stick with larger tiles from a maintenance standpoint, but he did say he's been "overruled by wives a number of times." LOL ;) How often do people have to clean them? (I'm ignorant about this stuff.)

Is there a preferred tile sheet? The mesh back vs the plastic front tiles?

I feel like I don't see as many pools with small glass tiles in the North East. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks! :)

I went with 2x2 glass tiles and my PB was very thankful ��. To me I like the look better than the 1x1. I also just used glass on my feature wall and regular 6x6 for waterline, I feel this will be less maintenance for the hubby ��

We have 1x1 glass tiles and used pale grey tinted grout. No maintenance issues so far (though we only finished in December). I wanted the look of classic mosaic and like them. In my opinion, they sparkle more than larger tile when the sun hits them, but when the sun (or moonlight) is not on them, they are less shiny than larger tiles (because of the additional grout lines). I personally like 1x2 just as much, fwiw.

Also, the NPT tile we used (Arctic Ice) has plastic sheet on the front which is removed during installation. I think they may adhere better than meshbacked glass tile because more surface area is in contact with the thinset.

Great build. Looks really good. Glad ur builder said to fill it for the winter. Some don't say that and u might end up with an ark att the end of the winter.

Did ur township say anything about he fence. I thought we were going to have to do a fence with steel spikes every 6 feet metal cheap mesh but they said I'm fine with the construction one. I just can't get an occupancy permit until the permanent one is up.

Sorry for the late response! Things have been crazy here and I find myself with little time to sit down at my computer. :(

So we decided on Pebblesheen Irish Mist. :kim: (It was between that and Seafoam Green.) We asked about the Luminous Blends, but my husband just shook his head no at me when he heard the extra $4k cost. I have to choose my battles, so I backed off on that one being that I won my "spa with fireplace" and "making the patio larger" battles. ;)

Fabulous back yard for a pool, and great design. We ran into an abandoned water well in our dig. Can't wait to see your finishes!

Thank you and Ugh!, so you feel our pain. Fortunately the drywell beneath the pool is helping with water drainage for the autocover box, not that it should really fill with all that much water once it's enclosed/covered.

I went with 2x2 glass tiles and my PB was very thankful ?. To me I like the look better than the 1x1. I also just used glass on my feature wall and regular 6x6 for waterline, I feel this will be less maintenance for the hubby ?

The PB gave us a catalog, we checked out tile stores and I ultimately ordered some more samples. For some reason I keep gravitating towards the 3/4"x3/4" and 1"x1" tiles. Thankfully my husband was on the same page as me, so that was one less battle. :D

We have 1x1 glass tiles and used pale grey tinted grout. No maintenance issues so far (though we only finished in December). I wanted the look of classic mosaic and like them. In my opinion, they sparkle more than larger tile when the sun hits them, but when the sun (or moonlight) is not on them, they are less shiny than larger tiles (because of the additional grout lines). I personally like 1x2 just as much, fwiw.

Also, the NPT tile we used (Arctic Ice) has plastic sheet on the front which is removed during installation. I think they may adhere better than meshbacked glass tile because more surface area is in contact with the thinset.

I'm a sparkle junky. :D And like you, I want to use a tinted grout. The PB said the tile guy should be able to do a tint similar to the Pebblesheen color.

Great build. Looks really good. Glad ur builder said to fill it for the winter. Some don't say that and u might end up with an ark att the end of the winter.

Did ur township say anything about he fence. I thought we were going to have to do a fence with steel spikes every 6 feet metal cheap mesh but they said I'm fine with the construction one. I just can't get an occupancy permit until the permanent one is up.

Yeah, there's a gunite pool & spa buried further in our backyard because the original owners didn't keep enough water in it and they ended up with an ark. ;)

No word from the town. Thankfully. We already know we're going to have to change some of our fencing to meet code before we submit for the C/O.

Some images. The patio area closer to the home is going to be cleaned after the mason are done with the work here. They're still laying the patio down.

The green pipes are where my husband plans to do a built-in grill.
IMG_3223.jpg

The Slide will be going in that corner.
IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Tiles we're going with. They're for the waterline and on top of the spa as well. They're also going to use them where the autocover retracts. We opted not to use them on the steps or deep end seating/exit points.
IMG_3230.jpg fullsizeoutput_64bb.jpg

Unfortunately I have no shots of where the fireplace will be going (it will be on the spa end), but this is what we ordered (I already own the husband in the photo. ;) ) We still have to decided on what we're going to face it with.
fullsizeoutput_649d.jpg

Have you thought about how the protruding point of the spa will affect the autocover? I would really expect that to be a wear point and likely develop a hole there. If I had that setup I'd round that corner somehow. We don't have that protrusion so I'm not speaking from experience but with a cautious eye.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.