Do you have pool regrets?

jkrupp,

My wife and I thought we wanted a pool, but was not 100% sure. So what we did was compromised and purchased an above-ground pool. That way we could try it out and if we didn't like it (or the cost to keep up was too much), we could just get rid of it and put down sod. So basically we could have all the fun of a pool at the fraction of the cost of an inground. The funny thing is that not only do we love our pool, but we are now considering NOT getting an in-ground pool. The nice thing about an AG pool is that it is easy to work on, no ground washing in because of a big storm, very few bugs and other critters caught in the skimmers since it is so high, and much easier to protect from children. Of course the big disadvantage is that it is not as pretty and requires some type of platform to get in.

But it may be a consideration for you. Pay approximately $4000 cash for an AG pool. Try it out. If you like it, save up for an in-ground while you enjoy the AG.

My only regrets.....
1) Not getting a larger filter.
2) Not getting a larger pool ;).
3) Not finding TFP 4-1/2 years ago when I bought my first pool.

Other than that, we love every cubic inch of our pool.

Holydoc, has a good point, but I do disagree with spending $4,000 to try it out. assuming your yard is level (a big assumption), instead get a cheap intex Easyset pool, you can get an 18 ft diameter by 48 inch deep easy set off Amazon for under $300 and try it for one season. (you will probably want to spend about another $120 upgrading to the Intex Sand filter as the standard cartridge filter is underwhelming and may need another $100 or so for various smaller items)

Holydoc, that was originally my thinking. I was looking at the 12 x 24 foot ag pools, at about $3k. But after figuring cost of decking and landscaping and eXtra was more like $5k. Then taking into account hiring an electrician (I assume you can't just use an extension cord and regular outlet for a large Doughboy type pool), I worried it'd be close to $10k. When talking to my husband about all this he said"if I going to spend 5 digits might as well think about an I ground". I think part of that is, we are in CA and in ground pools are so common here, I've never even seen an above ground pool in person! (Strange right).

We just made an appt for so eone else to come out and give us a quote, I'm going to start a new thread and ask about equipment choices if you all don't mind giving more advice!

Like many others here we definitely don't regret getting a pool. We installed it right after our first boy turned 1. We now have a 4.5, 2.5, and 2 month old. Swim lessons year round have been a must.

- I wanted a pool more than the wife. It took about a year to get around to it. One of the best pieces of advice I'd give is to make sure you have your "house" in order. A pool is a "toy". We knew we had some must-do projects first: we had our HVAC units replaced, updated bathroom, new water-heater. Depending on your financial situation make sure you don't put yourself into a hole in case other major items crop up you really do need in a house.
- Know your budget and stick to it! We came in right on budget and I think it was due to a lot of research and talking with vendors so that they knew what we wanted and how much it was all going to cost. As I'm sure you know there's lots of stuff that go into a pool besides the pool....new grass, fences, furniture, toys, etc...
- Know thy-self: We are outdoor people, we had a screen porch we spent most all of our time on it before the pool. We love being outside, hosting people. I know many people who never set foot outside for various reasons. Make sure you're the type that won't get "bored" after a year and that you really will use/enjoy it. This is a regret I've heard from others.
- Cost: I feel the maintenance cost is relatively minor. During the summer the pump costs probably are so minimal compared to the AC costs it just washes into the bill. Granted having the emergency fund and knowing one day you'll need to buy some expensive replacement components should be factored.

Just my $0.02. No regrets for us at all and we love it...just wish we went a bit bigger!

My only regret is not asking about pump choices. We didn't think to ask and were surprised at just how loud the single speed pump they gave us was (think shop vac). If I could do it over i'd look into a VS or two speed pump. I'd replace it now but it's less than a year old and the extra cost (plus throwing out a perfectly good unit) is a bit too much to swallow

Yeah, I'm not happy about the pump. That said, we started with a secondhand Intex that came with a pump. When we replaced that pool the store said "yes, we have this pool with that pump and you cen pick the designs on the liner and the outer wall" and we didn't know to ask about noise...

In an ideal world. our pump would be quieter... and in a different location. But our Intex ran off an extension cord and we just got used to it being in one spot- so when the new pool came that's where we naturally put the pump. I put lattice up around the pump area, I'll do something to try to minimize the sound next year.

But those aren't regrets so much as details we're still working out.

Of course the answers here will be biased. We are after all a pool owners forum.

- Our younger kids will use the pool a ton at the young age and it will be endlessly easier to entertain at own house vs packing everyone up for the beach, community pool, water park etc. It also allows for more sporadic last minute swimming.

- It will make our yard so much more usable (we currently do not have a deck and it is terribly hot in south Florida). We love to entertain but have always found our guests congregating inside. We think the pool and patio will change that.

Good grief - this!!! I used to dread going to the community pool in our last neighborhood due to the sheer volume of STUFF we had to get together to go. Now, I tell the kids to get their suits on and towels, and we're out the back door 3 minutes later to swim. End result, tired children hit the sack early, and we have a relaxing evening.

I am, however, relatively happy that we purchased a home with a pool rather than trying to build one. Yes, I didn't get to select everything, but I'm not sure we ever could have afforded to build a pool ourselves.

I will pile on as I may offer a different perspective because I never wanted a pool and neither did my wife. When we went house hunting, the only negative we noted about the house we eventually bought was that it had a pool. Yes, an above ground, but a 30 footer with a deck around about 40% of it, so, a bit of a chore to remove if we wanted to go that route.

But, we decided to give it a go for one season and then re-assess. Now, we've made it the centerpiece of our backyard, and we could not ever imagine living somewhere without a pool! Our little girls love it (yes, year round swimming lessons are a must) and we entertain often in the summer. People love coming to our house and so easy to swim spur of the moment!

Good luck with your decision!

I am so thankful I found this site. I don't keep close track of chemical costs, but I get 4 gallons of 12.5% for $10 at the local pool store (see they are good for something!) so I probably spend less than $20/month for ongoing sanitation. There are other costs of course, but nothing like I feared, especially going the TFP way!

Hi there,
We live near Sacramento (Fair Oaks). Last year we moved into a home that had an inground pool that needed major repairs. For 5 years before we had an above ground pool. We needed up putting in about $26,000 (cash) into the pool for new plaster, new plumbing, new drains, light, pump, filters, pool cleaner, tile, and had a water feature (a bench sheer descent fountain). It was more than we expected to pay, but we are in love with our pool! Our kids are teenagers so it gets a lot of use. In fact we swam yesterday since it was in the 90's. We love the water and invested the money so we could have all of the teens at our house so we knew where and who are kids are with. I just had knee surgery so swimming is so therapeutic for my recovery. I know it's a big decision, and we interviewed about 5 contractors and spent a lot of time agonizing over the costs and details. But it's been a great first summer with our pool and it was very easy to go from using the TFP on the above ground to the inground. I love that the only chemical I can't buy at the grocery store is PH minus!
Best to you on your decision !
Liz & Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can say I have no regrets. For 13 years I had a 28' above ground pool. We went with that because I didn't want to spend the money for the IG and then resent it because of the cost if we only used it once in a while. Where I am we only get use out of it end of May through September. We used that pool so much and, had such great family parties, etc. that we said if we ever did it again it would be an IG pool. 2 years ago we moved and put in an IG. No regrets with the AG or now the IG. When I was a kid I had a friend whose parents sat at their pool every weekend of the summer. I do the same now and love every minute of it.

My three favorite comments above that echo my thoughts are:

It's not only time spent in the pool but around the pool that you get count as 'using the pool'.
You should also want a pool after your kids leave. Not just for them now and then waiting for grandkids.
And being able to swim at a moments notice. This is great for a grey dreary day that has a sudden and brief pop of sunshine. You would never think of driving to the pool on such a day.

We slowly upgraded from the blue blob Intex to the 26' round. (With the deck and other things needed to set it up properly, costs were around $3500.) my husband seldom got in the smaller pool, it was mostly in the shade. We moved it to a sunnier location, he ended up,using it more than the teens in the house. I like that my son would rather have his friends/girl friend over to swim, so I know what they are up to, without hovering over them. The nephews and nieces love our water so much they want to swim here instead of their own regular AGP, lol.
We went without a vacation two years to offset the cost of the pool.

Hi All, I have to throw my 2 cents in . My husband and i are almost 60 . our kids are all in their 20's and 30's but spend alot of time over at our house. we always had an above ground pool or lived in a neighborhood that had a pool . we moved from Pa. to SC and have started the pool dig . Umm ,a few days after we started i must admit i had a knot in my stomach and kept thinking why didnt we just buy a house with a pool in it ?? first we had tree stumps and more dirt than they needed so that is going to be an extra cost to us . The stumps i get ,we had about 30 annoying pine trees cut down but the dirt i think they should have to haul away ,which they will for a cost, but i am sure they would gouge us for it ,luckily i have someone who will do it and be fair . then they hit leach field line so we had to do a complete turn about on the direction and placement of the pool . also we had to take down 2 panels of fence to allow the cement trucks to side access or we would have had to pay 2,000 to have it pumped from the street so they dont destroy the driveway . so i am walking my dogs now instead of just opening the back door . The pool is a 18x36 and looks huge ,lol .so i am thinking about the water its going to take to fill it . and the pool company does not do the electric so i have to get my own . So maybe i will feel differently next spring when everything is paid for and the backyard isnt a mountain of orange clay dirt that has permanently stained things in my house. I would probably say if you want a pool then just be prepared for all the extras , or buy a house that already has a pool .

Our kids were older and out of the house by the time we got our pool, so our only regret is not finding a way to have one sooner. My wife wanted the pool to get them to stop by on the weekends and...mission accomplished. We have lots of weekend visitors and have had a few great summers since getting the pool (we've only been in this house a few years).

I bought my house and it already had a pool. I have enjoyed maintaining it and using it. That being said, my wife and I don't use it as much as some people probably would. If I ever moved to a house without a pool, I wouldn't spend the money to build one. The amount that we use the pool would not justify the cost of building new. Now the black lab... she swims every day lol.

I grew up with an above ground round and always told myself one day I'd have a house with an in-ground pool.

Bought my first house 2 years ago with a plaster pool. Loved it. Ended up having to sell it (The house was just too big to maintain and I didn't like the area it was in)
but very luckily found another with inground liner. This past season was great. I wish it was a little bigger but I can't complain.

I couldn't imagine being without one quite honestly. On a hot summer day there is nowhere else I'd rather be, than in water.

I've built 2 pools, bought one house with an existing pool and grew up in a house with a pool. I can't imagine not having a pool. The recurring expense are minimal, especially with the proliferation of variable speed pumps.

The question about how to pay for it is 100% personal.

I paid cash for the two pools I built, sort of. Essentially I reduced my home downpayments by in order to build with cash. I did this for a couple reasons...

1) Having cash available and paying with $100 bills allowed me to realize additional discoaunts at each progress payment. All in all I was able to save ~5% over the contract price and on the recent build was able to make a couple change orders (larger filter, more concrete and tile upgrades) at no additional cost.

2) I am extremely debt averse, thanks to Dave Ramsey, and absolutely will not finance a depreciating asset. I'm in Fresno/Clovis area, so similar economics to Sacramento. Around here a pool only adds $10-$12k in resale. So paying $30-$50+ and only getting $10k back is serious depreciation. Maybe one could argue increasing mortgage balance by not maximizing downpayment is the same as financing the pool, I wouldn't disagree. But in my minds
eye it felt different. We are aggressively working to pay off our house, and it will be paid off in the about the same term as a pool loan, so we aren't stretching the pay off. If your are on a 30year loan and plan to take most of that term then a 7-10 year pool loan might be better for you.

I think you will absolutely love having a pool. If you aren't 100% in love with your current house, I bet you can find one in the same neighborhood that has a pool. This would easily save you tens of thousands, allow you to avoid financing the pool and get a pool quickly without having to save the build price.

Good luck.

We bought our house with the pool, I likely wouldn't have had one having had less than great results with a small ag at my previous house. And it was a bit of a pain and expense until I found bbb and salt. Now it is a part of living that is sorely missed without it. We were without one for three years and HATED it! As far as resale value, as a retired remodeling contractor, I always told my customers to never spend money on a porch or deck or room addition just for adding to the resale. That is chasing a breeze. Build it for your own enjoyment. If it adds to the value at some future time, wonderful. If in that future time you need to sell and that project isn't in vogue then you have enjoyed the pool for all those years. Then move on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.