Long time reader, first time converter.
After adding up the $$$ I spent on Baq last year, I decided to make the switch (after I stopped hyperventilating).
I've been reading the forums over and over for the last few weeks, and would appreciate any encouragement or guidance as I go through this process. As others have said -- it can be quite a scary (looking) process, in the middle. My local pool store was telling me they wanted to do Cal-Hypo and let it sit for 2 days.
But after reading success after success, I know TFP has the methodology down, and am going the liquid chlorine route.
I'm nervous because the concepts for a chlorine pool is foreign to me (noob). I started on Baq 3 years ago when we bought the house, and became first time pool owners. I'm anxious to switch after reading other stories and how much data TFP has, in order to help us joe-six-packs out. Just an awesome resource!
So here's where I started the season:
Opened the pool and measured 15 ppm of Baq in my pool, 0 Baq Shock. I let it sit for 2 weeks (vacuumed it and filtered it), and it still read 15 ppm. I never shocked it. This was all leftover from closing. That may be an anomaly since I struggled last season getting accurate readings. I went out and bought an expensive test kit for measuring Baq and shock at home and it almost always read 15 ppm no matter what. But whatever, those days are soon over.
Anyway, best I can tell my pool is 13-14,000 gal. It's vinyl and octagonal.
I have my shiny brand new TF-100 kit (very nice, btw)
I stocked up on 3 cases of liquid chlorine (12 bottles at 12.5%)-- the labels say "shock" but list show Sodium Hypochlorite as 12.5%. $3.50/bottle, FWIW.
Before starting, here were my numbers
Using the calculator, it determined that I needed 1.7 gal of 12.5% to go from 0 to 15ppm.
I put that in at 12:30 PM today, 6/6.
I took some pictures (ugly brown) but no goo. It only changed colors.
I came back around 2 PM and used the basic test kit to measure chlorine. It matched up with "1" (yikes!?), so I just added another 2.3 gal of Cl 12.5% solution. It turned darker and almost pinkish clouds for a few minutes, and now back to brown/green.
1) Did I add enough solution? Is the stuff I bought OK?
2) Am I wasting it by doing this in the daytime, or does it not matter at this early stage?
3) Should I just keep checking and adding every hour?
4) Will I eventually get goo?
Thanks for the site, thanks for the help.
And for all those who love conversion photos, enjoy my 2PM shot, attached.