New pool owner, green pool help

Look at the pictures close. There IS a difference. If you look close you will see the water it starting to trend towards gray instead of green.

You ARE on the right track! Nice job! Keep up the fight. Once it turns gray it will start to trend towards blue. Each day will be better. The more often you can test and dose the faster it will be. When it turns blue (ish) is when the filter will be the major playing in clearing the dead algae.

:kim:

Thanks Kimkats. There is definitely progress. It's not too hard to keep up with the regimen. I will keep you posted and post more pictures in a few days.
It's a great feeling to be in control of the pool. Appreciate all the support.

Thanks Kimkat. As you expected, it has improved further today. I will post a day by day transition picture in a few days.
I am not very sure if my filter cartridge is good. I don't know how old it is. I have cleaned it 3-4 times in the last few days to improve the flow (I have connected a hose to one of the outlets and it is sticking out of water. That way I know when the flow reduces). Depending on how it goes the next few days, I may have to buy a new cartridge. I am readying up on that as well in this forum.

Here is the picture from today morning. There are still little traces of green that I see in some places when I brush.
I think the filter is working because the flow reduces quite a bit in a day. It comes back up once I clean it. Appreciate your advice.

Edit: I have not done the OCLT test. I just test FC when it gets dark and then add required amount and do the same thing in the morning. I am thinking of starting that 2-3days from now.

View attachment 54521

I would not bother doing the OCLT yet. Wait the 2-3 days like you are thinking.

It does sound like your filters are doing their job just fine! NICE! I was going to say you could put a t-shirt in your skimmer basket to let it help your filter but it sounds like that is not needed. One less thing to clean/do!

Hi Kimkats
I see progress day to day but now it looks like it will take a lot longer to fully clear up. Still a big relief to get rid of the swamp in the backyard. I was hoping to open the pool this weekend but it looks like it will be next week.

There was a 4ppm chlorine loss in the night and so the fight is still on. Will wait for another 2-3 days to do the next OCLT. With my slam FC at 28, I will run out of R-0871 otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Pool 922 730AM.jpg

Look at that!!! That is some progress for sure!!!!

Okay now the "hunt".......have you taken your light out? Have you looked all around your skimmer face and returns? Your pool should have it's own tooth brush to clean these areas. I want to make sure there is not hiding place for the left over algae spores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kimkat, Pat. I thought I will wait a couple of days and surprise you with a picture of my crystal clear pool. Not there yet and going very slow. :)

I still have chlorine loss of 4 PPM overnight. I expected this to reduce from 2 days ago. I removed the light out and cleaned it. It is hard to clean the light area fully without being inside the pool but it is mostly okay. I can see it getting better and better. I think in a couple of days, I will see the bottom of the pool on the deeper end. I am taking pictures regularly. Will post a transition picture once I am fully done. That might help anybody else who has any doubts about the slam process.
Cheers

you're making great progress!

you'll love your pool very soon.

The pool store gonna miss you, as you're in charge now!
I love the fact that my pool sparkles because of me.

3 minutes a day-- after you've finished your SLAM-- is all your pool will need to keep the green ogre from ever returning...

Thanks 7snorkel, Kimkat. Almost there but there is still some work. Overnight chlorine loss 2.5ppm and combined chlorine 1.
I usually brush a couple of times a day during the SLAM but yesterday morning I didn't. I could clearly see the bottom on the deep side in the evening. As soon as I brushed, it disappeared. This morning it is visible again. I have a lot of fine particles in the pool which I have to clear somehow.

I have the 'HAYWARD W530 See Through Canister' that I connect to the hose and to the 'Pool Vacuum Head with Side Brush by Aquatic'. It is okay with any visible debris but not with fine particles. Today I will directly connect the hose to the skimmer to improve suction and it might work.

I am not ready to spend the $$ on the robotic cleaner. I don't have any problem with the manual work but want some solution that really works. I will search through the forum and look for suggestions on this.
Cheers

I can see a difference! It IS treading towards clear blue over the cloudy blue of before. Do you have a main drain? if you make sure it is open to help pull the water from there to the filter. It is the filter's job now. Keep the filter clean and lets get that pool looking like a jewel!

(edited after last post)
Thanks Kimkat. There is a main drain. I have not checked out or made any changes to the way the pump and filter works after I got the pool. I don't see a value to make adjustments to the flow between main drain vs. the skimmer. I see a slab right in the pump inlet and likely adjustments are below there. I think it is working fine now and so will keep it as is.

I can see that the suction on the skimmer is good (especially when the pump is running on high and I am using the vacuum). Flow from the filter back to the pool is very good but needs cleaning every couple of days now.

I have been vacuuming before brushing and that has helped with clearing the fine particles at the bottom. I can see the bottom drain all the time. Overnight FC loss is 1.5 and combined chlorine is 1. So I am very close now. I will continue the slam for another few days.
Appreciate all the help.

I have a crystal clear pool now. I really cannot believe I could pull this off. Thanks to all you.

Attaching the picture to show the transition.
I really appreciate all your help. It wouldn't be possible without you.
Thanks to the TFTestKits store for stocking and shipping test kits quickly (and at low shipping cost).
Cheers

2016-10-05_09-19-05.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.