Clueless Newbie

I use the k-1000 for ph, never bother with the chlorine side. That's because I enjoy whipping out the speedstir and playing mad scientist!

Some people use the OTO for quick checks once they really know their pool. (Newbies should use their FAS-DPD's). The OTO provides results within a range and not a specific value so the learning curve is skewed.

Personally, after 13+ years of pool owenership, I don't bother with the OTO. I use the FAS-DPD. I am not worried about the minor cost of reagents.

Just wanted to update, we are still doing good, have not come down to target yet.
Once we get to 10-12 ppm FC , do we re-check my CYA level to see if we are at correct target? also do we retest ph level once we hit the FC target?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No pic yet have to vaccuum, but I have a chemical question.

My FC is @ 9.5 and the range is supposed to be 10-12 (I know I have to add bleach) but my Ph is at or above 8.2, the ideal Ph is is 7.2 correct? So, I added 5 c. muriatic acid according to pool math to bring it down (am I correct?)
Then am I to wait 30mins and then check Ph again or add my bleach?
Still don't know the chemical ins and outs.

Staci, I cannot remember if I shared this set of links with you. They are a good set for new pool owners. You may have seen some of the links but I want to make sure you have any one you might need.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Each pool is very different. That is why we have a range for each item. You need to keep a log of your test results so you can start to see your pool's pattern. After a while you will be able to guess what you need to do just by looking at the pool!

PH-The range is 7.2-7.8 You should test it each day until you see it start to stabilize. Your PH of 8.0 or higher is high. Good job on using Pool Math to know how much MA to add to get it down.

When you are working on lowering the PH you can add the MA, have the pump on high to help mix it in, then test again in 15 mins. Keep testing and adding until you get the PH down to where you want it.

Staci can you share your last, full set of tests please?

Kim:kim:

Staci, I cannot remember if I shared this set of links with you. They are a good set for new pool owners. You may have seen some of the links but I want to make sure you have any one you might need.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Each pool is very different. That is why we have a range for each item. You need to keep a log of your test results so you can start to see your pool's pattern. After a while you will be able to guess what you need to do just by looking at the pool!

PH-The range is 7.2-7.8 You should test it each day until you see it start to stabilize. Your PH of 8.0 or higher is high. Good job on using Pool Math to know how much MA to add to get it down.

When you are working on lowering the PH you can add the MA, have the pump on high to help mix it in, then test again in 15 mins. Keep testing and adding until you get the PH down to where you want it.

Staci can you share your last, full set of tests please?

Thank you. I will post all my #'s tomorrow as we are running out for the night.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :crazy: girl LOL

Did you print this one out?

Yeah that TA is high! Can you test your fill water for me?

Here is how to lower the TA:

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

It will take come time to get it down to where it needs to be but it will be worth it as it will help your PH stabilize.

Yes i printed that out. I thought because my CYA was high i had to follow the FC target in the chlorine/cya chart, no?
We had a lot of rain over the weekend from hurricane Matthew, could that be why TA so high? Fill water meaning my tap water, right.

You are doing great! Follow the the chart that best suits your needs for where your FC is.

Rain pushing up TA? I wonder if your rain had that much TA in it. Do you by chance have something that still has some reain water in it? Interesting idea. I do know rain will aerate the water and cause the PH to go up if it is hard enough.

Yeah fill water is what you used to fill the pool up with. For most people that would be the tap water. Make sure to get it from the same place you had the hose attached to if you have a water softener.

Well it's neither the fill water or the rain... fill is 30 & rain was 20. So I will follow the directions in this link. Thanks Kimkats :smile:
You are doing great! Follow the the chart that best suits your needs for where your FC is.

Rain pushing up TA? I wonder if your rain had that much TA in it. Do you by chance have something that still has some reain water in it? Interesting idea. I do know rain will aerate the water and cause the PH to go up if it is hard enough.

Yeah fill water is what you used to fill the pool up with. For most people that would be the tap water. Make sure to get it from the same place you had the hose attached to if you have a water softener.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.