AG pool cover / closing questions

May 30, 2016
Walkertown, NC
Guys my water temp is now dipping below 78. It is to cold now to enjoy and the highs over 82 are almost gone. I was thinking of covering and closing my pool today or tomorrow and had a few questions.

1) Does the water have to be below 50 or 60 degrees to cover & close?
2) If I should not close until 50 or 60, should I cover and keep an eye on the chemistry and keep filtering?
3) Can I leave the solar cover on the pool and put the winter cover on top of it? I just have no space for it in my shed.
4) Do you guys use a leaf net cover? Doesn't the leaf stems get stuck in the holes? Can some recommend a good one?
5) Do you guys use gizmos? I was thinking about using a return plug and gizmo and not draining the water down. Am I taking a chance? I do not want the skimmer to freeze up and crack obviously.

Thanksgizmo.jpg

1) If the water is above 60 deg, algae can still grow.
2) Not necessary.
3) That's what I do. It has the added benefit of keeping water from pooling on top of my cover, since the solar cover floats.
4) Never used one.
5) Never used one. I just drain below the skimmer.

1) If the water is above 60 deg, algae can still grow.
2) Not necessary.
3) That's what I do. It has the added benefit of keeping water from pooling on top of my cover, since the solar cover floats.
4) Never used one.
5) Never used one. I just drain below the skimmer.

Thanks for the reply. If i cover with the winter cover wont it use less chlorine? It will also help keep the leaves out.

Hi, I am a new member here, but have lots of pool experience and knowledge. We own/operate a large 3rd generation pool company in Connecticut that has been running since 1963, and also manufacture/distribute a winter pool product that helps with closing. My suggestions are:
1.) You can close the pool whenever you want, just make sure you use the proper winterizing chemicals.
2.) There is no need to keep filtering if the water is winterized.
3.) I would not leave the solar cover on, simply because it is likely to deteriorate from the chemicals, and may get damaged if the pool freezes (not sure what kind of temps you guys see down there.)
4.) If anything, I would look into a system like LLCPoolTree which allows the leaves to blow off the cover when used with a mesh cover, or makes it easier to scoop them with a solid cover. I wouldn't bother with a leaf net.
5.) Do NOT use a gizmo if there is any chance the water will freeze. When it freezes, the skimmer will crack. Gizmos are meant for IG pools, whose skimmers are stronger and supported by dirt/cement, therefore do not crack.

Craig

My suggestions are:
1.) You can close the pool whenever you want, just make sure you use the proper winterizing chemicals.
Craig,

My only comment about your answer is that we find that if you wait until the water is very cold before winterizing (below 60 is best) algae reproduction is extremely slow. Other than antifreeze in lines that need it, many don't use any "chemicals" and those that do limit them to either bringing the pool to shock level with chlorine before closing or they add a quat based algecide.

Craig,

My only comment about your answer is that we find that if you wait until the water is very cold before winterizing (below 60 is best) algae reproduction is extremely slow. Other than antifreeze in lines that need it, many don't use any "chemicals" and those that do limit them to either bringing the pool to shock level with chlorine before closing or they add a quat based algecide.

Thanks for the reply. So what should i do? I have the solar cover on it now. Leave it on and install the winter cover? Keep an eye on chlorine and normal filter routine until the temp drops? Then i will drain the water down and winterize.

TAKE THE SOLAR COVER OFF, plug your return line, take plugs out of pump and filter, leave skimmer open unless you have a (aquador for winter only) put your filter valve in winter position, add chlorine to shock level and use a quat based algecide. put your cover on and your done

- - - Updated - - -

I AGREE WITH CRAIG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.