Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The downside of a solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

The downside of a solar cover

So I'm out shooing my polaris away from the wedding-cake steps where it likes to hang out (I guess it has a sweet tooth), and I notice the top step looks kinda dingy. My cover doesn't actually cover the steps, it's a little too small. Swoosh the step with my hand, a cloud of dust appears... huh, maybe this is the pollen everybody keeps talking about...

Water level is a bit low so I drag out the hose and pull back the cover on the deep end to drop the end in, and... my light... it's not shiny. It's GREEN!

Guess I haven't been quite as careful about my FC as I shoulda been. I know what to do, it's just annoying.

The moral is: Trouble Free doesn't mean don't pay attention! Gotta peek under the covers once in a while. (Haven't been swimming that much yet.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The downside of a solar cover

I guess I better go test....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: The downside of a solar cover

Mkay. I'm good.

BTW, I'm liking this dark blue solar cover. Water stayed 78 degrees despite the cold temps last night, and cooler temps the last 2 days. I shut my heater off since no one is/will be swimming for a while.

I had basically zero FC loss since yesterday evening....it really takes the UV out of the equasion....wow.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com