South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - STARTUP PHASE

Re: South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

Brian,

On your measurement issue always trust but verify. Often owners assume errors are "the builder's problem" but that's not correct unless it's very clear in the contract that it is. Does your contract define these measurements or just show a general layout? It's always good to have these things right before construction proceeds because the further he goes with construction the more money it costs to fix. Glad to see the measurements worked out!

I'm a little late commenting but I'll also vote for automation. I had to add mine after the build and I had to scrap the old panel so that was an additional cost. Also if you have access to natural gas consider changing it to gas if you want to heat the pool up in a reasonable amount of time. If you only plan to heat the spa your heater is fine.

You're gonna love having a pool around here! We're a little north of you in Martin County, cranked up the heat and swam last night with kids in town for TG.

Happy TG and nice pool!

Chris

Last edited:

I'm a little late commenting but I'll also vote for automation. I had to add mine after the build and I had to scrap the old panel so that was an additional cost. Also if you have access to natural gas consider changing it to gas if you want to heat the pool up in a reasonable amount of time. If you only plan to heat the spa your heater is fine.

You're gonna love having a pool around here! We're a little north of you in Martin County, cranked up the heat and swam last night with kids in town for TG.

Happy TG and nice pool!

Chris

Thanks, Chris! Same to you. Yes, we added the AutoNation with an EasyTouch 8 to also include other things like patio fans, lights, and landscape lighting.

We thought about adding natural gas but it was a bigger expense than we would have liked. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road as we start doing replacements and upgrades to the home (it is at the 10 year mark right now) and all electric appliances are still in good working order. You know the climate here, very rarely do you need to heat the pool, so we will be alright with the pump. It will definitely get use for the spa though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love how you are thinking out different solutions. This last idea is a neat one for sure! The best of both worlds!

Kim:kim:

Such is life with 3 kids. We still like the nice adult things, but we need to balance with what works for them. For us, we would push the bubblers out closer to the shelf wall for better lounger spacing, but for the kids it is safer to run around and play closer to the middle. The likelihood is that the shelf will be open more than it will have chairs.

South Florida Pool & Outdoor Living - DIG Phase

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving and enjoyed the long weekend!

Here is a hold over pic until work resumes - the now infamous TFP tri-jet spa seat has been plumbed! Hopefully getting the steel inspection tomorrow which should put us getting shot by the end of the week.

6eeaf3a09205a0b70cf1ada338434f43.jpg

70d25b48356deb75c83d1a9ec9da7be9.jpg

So we need to make a decision on sun shelf umbrella holder location before gunite. Do most people just center it? The direction of our yard offers sun late into the afternoon so we are debating having it off center to maximize shade. But could this potentially cause an issue if the umbrella corners extend over the decking?

A lot of people get these instead of putting in umbrella holders in the pool. As you know the sun moves so.......

Amazon.com: Cantilever - Umbrellas / Umbrellas Garden

If you really want the holders in the pool I would put one on each side of the shelf instead or as well as one in the center. To me that would give you half a chance of it being where it needs to be.

Place it off center to maximize shade. You are smart to think of this now. Most people generally don't swim early morning, so having afternoon / late afternoon shade should be the priority for placement.

A lot of people get these instead of putting in umbrella holders in the pool. As you know the sun moves so.......

Amazon.com: Cantilever - Umbrellas / Umbrellas Garden

If you really want the holders in the pool I would put one on each side of the shelf instead or as well as one in the center. To me that would give you half a chance of it being where it needs to be.

and then you don't have to figure out how to work around a pole right in the middle of your shade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Steel inspector came this morning. The pool passed so we will be getting shot this week!

In some offsetting news, the patio columns failed inspection and will need to be rebuilt. Something along the lines of not tying the rebar into the cinderblocks every 12". The inspector climbed the ladder leaned against the column (which didn't have concrete poured in them yet) to inspect the steel and the column came tumbling down, along with the ladder and inspector. He was fine, just a little shook up. Here is the aftermath of our center column:

3c87426fde6349939fa1cc7acbe1b38a.jpg

Really dumb move on the inspector's part. A column like that, especially with unfilled cores won't support a ladder and a person on the ladder, but we found that out didn't we. :)

Really dumb move on the inspector's part. A column like that, especially with unfilled cores won't support a ladder and a person on the ladder, but we found that out didn't we. :)

Yup. I've actually felt the sturdiness to touch and knew clearly it wasn't strong enough to support. I came home from work with the column already rebuilt. It turns out that they don't need to rebuilt after all. Resetting the steel and scheduling for reinspection on Wed. Hopefully he brings an A-frame ladder this time ;)

Busy but fun day to be home. 14 workers including 3 gunite truck drivers. The spa is taking shape with gunite and one corner wall is complete. Our patio beams are also being put up. It's going to look like something by the end of the day.

6e624f43a315defb41ccf1d428872cef.jpg

5f06c1b63ef73a5ae172bbaf5e404570.jpg

3a1c3b2a36b9c5f768189b2dd5e75cb5.jpg

b66a578acf93002f3e84953f90b29e0b.jpg

FUN TIMES! Now it does look like a pool! Get ready to "bond" with your pool when they are done aka water it! LOL You can use a sprinkler when you are tired of hand watering it.

This is the time I share some links with you. There is a LOT of info. so it will take some going through BUT it will all start to make sense when you start using it.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Do you know what test kit the PB is providing? If not please find out now. Let us know so we can help you fill in any holes it might have.

Will the gunite company be filling the columns? (Unless I missed that above.)

Exciting day!!

Will the gunite company be filling the columns? (Unless I missed that above.)

Not sure but I think no. While the contractors have worked together before, the patio/lanai is being done by a GC and not our PB. They just happen to be working simultaneously. Could they use gunite for something like that? If so, perhaps the GC and the PB have a deal to do it while the trucks are there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.