Need tips and/or encouragement

You said you purchased a K-2006. From where? If its been sitting around somewhere for a couple of years the reagents may be deteriorated. I find it difficult to believe that that green a pool at this time of year is showing no chlorine loss overnight.

First I would purchase a new K-2006 or TF 100 from TF Test Kits or Amazon and use it to test your pool.

Second how did you get 12.2? By using a 25 ml sample? With your green pool you don't need that accuracy and you don't need to use that much reagent. Use 10 ml samples where one drop equals .5.

Finally while I have strong doubts, strong doubts, it is possible its metal in the water. Ever used algicides?

Bought the Taylor test kit on Amazon last week. 12.2 was an estimate. The CC test was barely , slightly pink with the 10ml sample. It was somewhere between 0 and 0.5. I estimated. Probably not necessary to estimate like that.

Yes, I have used algaecides. I just used some last week before finding this website. And I was pretty consistently using it on direction of the pool store in town for the last three years.

- - - Updated - - -

With the FC level so hig now, is it okay to use 5ml samples? I am going to run out of reagent after only a week of testing...

In theory yes you can use 5 ml samples. That means each drop is 1. I'm not sure what the margin of error is there. I would order more from either TF Test kits or amazon. Their TF 100 refill pack at 39.95 is a bargain. The K-2006 refill is $50.

So what alageicide have you used and how much over time?

Poly 60. Preventative doses weekly for three years. 2 oz a week approximately. A few times a year I would use the bigger 6-8 oz recommendation for opening/closing/helping with algae. Now I am pretty sure these were worthless with bad chlorination habits.

I bought refills at TFTestkits for my K2006 this year and cross checked them against leftovers of original 1.5 year old K2006 reagents and there were no difference in test results for FC, CYA & pH. I keep K2006 in house all the time.

Hi Dgibb. Just wanna check that you're backwashing the filter any time it gets higher than 25% above clean pressure and that you're running it 24/7. Also, how frequently are you dosing right now? Stay above your new slam level. In a few days if the water is still tinted but VERY clear, metals could be in play but doubtful unless you're on well, and regardless, part of slam criteria is that the water be CLEAR so OCLT is moot at the moment ;)

Unfortunately, no change in color in the last two days. My wife and I have decided to shut down for the year and try again in the spring. Any tips before I close? Is there anything I can do to make the spring go more smoothly? I will be fully equiped with refills on my Taylor K2006 testing reagents and have plenty of chlorine. Will CYA fall naturally over the winter? Should I drain the pool lower than I typically would (below the return jet)? Is the algae going to improve at all over the winter?

After keeping the shock level above 24 FC for another two days, I still feel like I am missing something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.