More chlorine

tommaz

Aug 5, 2016
Belgium
Hi,

I got a quick question.
I live in Belgium and i notice that the chlorine levels in Usa are much higher then where i live.
Where I live the recommended level is between 1.5 and 2 ppm.
Anyone got an explanation for this?

Greets,

Tom

Hi Tom and welcome to TFP! :wave: The difference you are seeing is primarily related to TFP using more relevant information to ensure (Free Chlorine) FC and CYA (stabilizer) are balanced properly and safely to sanitize water. Many pool industry levels still follow antiquated guidance and don't really account for the increased CYA levels in pools. As you can see from the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below), a higher CYA level requires a higher FC level as the two items work together to sanitize and protect the swimmers from the effects of chlorine. Depending on the pool's location around the world, intense heat and sun UV will demand a higher CYA to protect the available FC. As long as the two (FC/CYA) are balanced together properly as noted on that chart, swimmer safety and sanitization are maintained. Hope that helps.

Maybe in Belgium, because there are lower temperatures and less sunlight than much of the USA there is less utililisation of Cyanuric acid. Therefore, pools would be managed with lower chlorine concentrations.

Do you use Cyuranic acid?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.