New guy with a lot of questions

Ha! With a capital P and that stands for POOL!!!

Did we make you read this? Too tired to look at your whole thread to check...
Pool School - PoolMath

You will need that info for your SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I have been reading a lot here and of course getting things confused at times! I got there by noon and checked the pool. The green is gone but it's still cloudy, good so far. I checked the FC and it was down 10 ppm to 26 so I added some more shock and will go back tonight about 7:00 to check it again.

Sat- 11:30 pm.

Well the pool is looking good. I got there this morning and there was some algae on the bottom, nothing like it was a couple of days ago. I brushed down the sides and bottom the best I could and setup the robot to vacuum the bottom for a good 8 hours. I checked the FC a few times during the day and added 1/2 gallon more shock to keep it at the shock level. The weather here has been brutal, 95*+ high humidity. I wanted to jump in all day but I didn't due to the high FC= 30-33 ppm.

When doing the CYA test add the mixed water until the black dot is covered over by cloudy water. How accurate is this method? I checked each test by doing 2-3 samples and they seem to be correct. I am near 55- 60 CYA now but started at 80-90? I keep the shock lever set for the CYA I test so that is coming down now too. I did a FC test after dark so I can compare it to tomorrow. Looks like the Sun burnt off about 8 ppm in about 6 hours today, does that sound correct?

What is considered the Safe level to swim, at the max FC for the CYA only? What side affects would be seen if I do enter the water before the level drops to FC max for the CYA?

Thank you, I don't know how you folks South of CT deal with the long hot summers, maybe I am just getting old?

It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] I would jump in. If it is a little over it might fade your swimsuit a bit and make your skin feel dry. You've been in worse public pools I'm sure. A rinse off after will help with that. Your pool at shock level for your CYA is less than half as harsh as a pool with 1ppm FC and 0 CYA.

The CYA test is usually good for +/- 10 ppm. Pour it back and forth as much as you want to double check your number.

Isn't everything south of CT? :) It was 92 here today and downright chilly! I've been roofing the last week. It was 102 yesterday, that was pretty warm up on the roof. Today 92 on the roof felt pretty good, kinda chilly getting out of the pool though. Now, I can do some serious whining about cold! Like under 50 or so. :-D

The CYA test you have is the most accurate you can get without spending a crazy amount of money. Trust it.
Use 60 as your number.

It's hard to comment about daytime FC loss during a slam as it is what it is. Understand too, that the FC required for sanitation is lower than what is required to keep algae at bay.

You can swim when you can clearly see a swimmer in trouble, pH is in range (yours should be), and FC is just under shock level and above minimum. At higher than "max" levels, don't wear expensive swimsuits and if anyone has really sensitive skin, have them shower off after their swim. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Hope that answered everything. Have fun.

HI Pooldv, Marian

I just got back home, got up early and went to the house so I didn't check this board till now. Today I turned 57 and my 3 YO grandson and son came over to help paint and work on the pool. I didn't let him go in though, the FC is still 26 and I wasn't sure about it. The water looks great= clear to the bottom and no algae seen today at all. I dumped some more water out and added fresh city water.

At 8:30 pm last night my FC was 29.5 ppm. The CYA I measured was 50 which I was surprised at so that could be wrong but I checked it 2-3 times. I wanted to get back today before the sun hit the pool but I didn't make it. I got there at 8:30am so the sun hit the pool for an hour or so. I ran through all the tests again to see what happened over night.

FC down to 26.5 so I don't know if the sun was hitting it or if it still was killing algae in the water?
TC -0-
CYA 70 this seems more like it but last night I was pretty sure it was 50. I haven't checked it since I dumped more water today.
PH 7.5
TA - 100
I wanted to keep the shock going so I added 32 oz of 12.5% shock and let it go till 2:00 pm.

The 2 PM test was still 26.5 FC CC-0- no more shock added. dumped and filled more fresh water. Went back to painting.

7:00 pm

FC still 26.5 sun hit the pool day no change, is that because of the 32 oz I added 10.5 hr earlier or the SLAM is done? CC -0- still. The pool is as clear as tap water now. I am really impressed on how this all worked out and couldn't have done it without your help.

If the SLAM is done I will continue to dump water a little at a time to get the CYA down and maintain the FC level based on the CYA. I left the filter running 24 hours since thurday and
brushed the pool everyday. Previously the filter was set to run 12 hours. I don't have the spec's on the pump or filter, I was going to see today but forgot. What is your thought on setting up the filter after a slam? I haven't had to backflush yet either, psi is still 10 psi.

Roofing in TX, good luck brother. You must get up and out while still dark to get down before high noon? We get 4 seasons up here, each one about 3 months. Sept to Nov is the best weather, not for swimming, but in the 60's dry and crisp. Not until Dec does it get old fast, cold and snow till March.

Thank you
Gary

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check at 6:30 am 8/15/16

FC 25.5 down 1.0 ppm since 7:00 pm last night. Test subjective to drop count, I sometimes get them moving too fast!
CC -0-
CYA - 55-60 again subjective to visual interpretation. I found I was holding the test tube down by the scale and causing a shadow. Holding it by the top worked much better. I will probably still drain and fill some more, 3-4 inches at a time.
The water is crystal clear- better then what I first saw with the owner. I can't blame them though they were moving and the pool sure wasn't bad but the water now is really nice. I am very pleased with the results.

So all I have to do is keep the FC at the target level of my CYA correct? I don't have any other chemicals should I get some for the next month before I have to close the pool?

What about those tablets? Never use them again? Next week I will be gone for 4 days should I raise the FC to shock level and check it again when I get back, I sure don't want to have another Algae bloom.

Again THANK YOU one and ALL for your help and understanding. 2 weeks ago I had no idea how to maintain pool water and would have been making trips to the pool store over and over again with the possibility of still having a problem.

I set the filter to run 10-12 hours now.

Gary- now a supporting member!

Alright, sounds good!

The idea with maintaining FC is to never let it drop below minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Dose enough chlorine so that by the time you dose again the FC is still above minimum.

Yes, when going away, raise FC to shock level. Floating a couple of pucks isn't bad insurance. They will add some CYA, but CYA dissipates from the pool by several ppm per month. Plus, splash out and overflow from rain.

It is also important to maintain pH between 7.2 and 7.8, 7.5 to 7.8 is better. But, the PH test is not valid when FC is above 10.

Hve you seen this page, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.