New guy with a lot of questions

Well I was able to get to the pool and use the new Tf100 test kit. It was light enough to test the CYA and I checked that a couple of times. Here are my results but would like some feedback on the next step
I went step by step on the instruction sheet. We did get a down pour today. The pool is green and has algae on the liner. The filter was set up to run 12 hours and I haven't changed that.

1- FC with the small K1000 kit was over 5ppm
2- PH 7.8
3-Chlorine drop test = 8.5 ppm FC, 1 CC, and 9.5 Total Chlorine
4- CYA = 90 - 100
5 - TA = 100
6- CH = 300-325

I know the way to drop the CYA is the drain 1/2 the pool water and refill with fresh tap water. I have a concern that draining that much water will risk liner damage. I don't know if I can use the waste sector on the mix valve to drain the water or if I have to use a sump pump? Then it would take a day to fill the pool back up.

Reviewing the owners schedule of 2 gallons of shock a week, tablets, and the buffer would it be worth a shot at that? We only have about a month of swimming weather left typically.

Thanks for the support.

Hi Gary,

You can do the drain and refill in several steps.

You also can do a diluted test for your CYA test......extended instructions here. Extended Test Kit Directions

I'd stick with liquid chlorine at this point. If you have algae, you need to follow SLAM process. See links below.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I also have a vinyl lined pool and hubby has accidentally drained it almost completely.......twice. Neither time did the liner float but I understand your concern. You can do it in steps little by little.

Hi Gary,

You can do the drain and refill in several steps.

You also can do a diluted test for your CYA test......extended instructions here. Extended Test Kit Directions

I'd stick with liquid chlorine at this point. If you have algae, you need to follow SLAM process. See links below.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I also have a vinyl lined pool and hubby has accidentally drained it almost completely.......twice. Neither time did the liner float but I understand your concern. You can do it in steps little by little.

Thanks Aimee. Looking over the SLAM process I guess I have to try and delute the water to get the CYA down a lot more before I SLAM. I also have to vacuum daily but can't get there every day right now. I will be there tomorrow and should be able to remove water while adding it in.

Looking online at the local Ocean State Job Lot Store ad, they sell 1 gallon jugs of liquid shock. Since I am new to this world I thought the shock would have more chemicals in it but looking at the MSDS shows 7-15% sodium hypochlorite. This is higher then the 3/4 gallon jugs of bleach I have been using.

I will check the math calculator to see how much I will need to use at the CYA level I have in the 90 range. I believe it is 39 ppm. Drain some water, replace it, run the robot vacuum and leave the filter running to see if it clears up.

When you go to the store, look for a 5 digit date code. It will look something like 16210. That would be the 210th day of 2016. It starts out higher than 12.5 and degrades over time. That's why they list a range. Pick the freshest gallons you can. One place where I buy, I have to pick it up in the warehouse (air-conditioned, btw). I call ahead and have them give me the date codes over the phone! Otherwise they might sell me the older stock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok follow up from yesterday. Today I had off, to paint the interior of the new house! First I stopped at the local Ocean State to buy 16 gallon jugs of 12.3% liquid shock. Based on yesterdays Tf100 test results I wanted to get to it before working all day on the house.

Before adding the shock I moved the filter valve to waste and dumped water until the skimmer was close to cavitation but I didn't loose the prime. I don't know how much water was drained out but it dropped about 2-3 inches in the pool Then I ran the hose in the pool. I have city water so it should be filtered pretty good. I let it run all day until the water level was just over 1/2 the skimmer opening. Next I added the shock. Again based on what I had for test results yesterday I figured I needed to get the FC up to 35-39, there is a little play there based on my CYA test result being 90- 100 ppm. Not knowing the strength of the shock, since there were skids of it in the store and the sales guy didn't appreciate me looking into sealed boxes, I bought 16 gallons @ $2.99 a gallon.I added 9 gallons, turned the filter on non stop, and brushed the green slime off the walls, steps, ladder, and bottom. The pool is green and cloudy. I can barely see the bottom at the 4' level.

I finished up the house work about 6:00 pm and checked the water before calling it a day. Here are my current results. The FC is in the range I was shooting for, the PH is up but I understand that the PH reading is not accurate during a SLAM, is that correct?

FC - drop test - 72 drops- 36 ppm
PH 8.2 but off the scale
CC- -0-
TC 36 ppm since -0- CC?
CYA - 80 tested 3 times so I guess the minor water change out helped a little, question on this at the end.
TA - 110
CH - 300 ppm

So I left it like that, filter running, I won't be able to get back till about 7:00 tomorrow night.

Questions
1- Am I on the right track so far?
2- Should I run the robot vac yet? I wasn't sure if the water exchange would be as fast with just the vacuum going?
3-Will the FC set high enough until I can get back to test and add if needed?
4- Is using the waste port on the filter valve the only way to dump water using the filter? Should I try to do this again or wait to see when the water clears up?
5- How much shock do you think I will need to buy and once I get this done will it follow through the Winter or will have to do this over again next June?
6- I have to go to big car show in 2 weeks, I'll be away from Thur to Mon. I am assuming that the water will be good and I can use the pool before that. I have to see if I can get someone to add chlorine if needed.

I think that covers it, so far. What do you think?

Thank you

Questions
1- Am I on the right track so far Yup
2- Should I run the robot vac yet? I wasn't sure if the water exchange would be as fast with just the vacuum going That's fine.
3-Will the FC set high enough until I can get back to test and add if needed? I doubt it...
4- Is using the waste port on the filter valve the only way to dump water using the filter? Should I try to do this again or wait to see when the water clears up? You can also backwash.
5- How much shock do you think I will need to buy and once I get this done will it follow through the Winter or will have to do this over again next June? O If you properly close late and open early, the odds of opening clear and balanced are very high.
6- I have to go to big car show in 2 weeks, I'll be away from Thur to Mon. I am assuming that the water will be good and I can use the pool before that. I have to see if I can get someone to add chlorine if needed.

I think that covers it, so far. What do you think?

Thank you

I hope that answered everything...

I hope that answered everything...

Thank you Marian. I am guessing here you are not a Victorian era Librarian?

Looks like I will have an issue getting there tomorrow during the day to check the FC and add more shock if needed. I'm kicking myself for not following the owners recommendation now, I probably could have used the pool.

I want to get the vac robot running all night tomorrow since it won't matter with the water exchange. Can I still dump water on Sat to get the CYA down?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am learning a lot here.

Thanks again.

Yes, we like CYA lower. Go for it!!! Is there a time when you can hang out at the new house and monitor the pool for a bunch of hours in a row? The slam works fastest when you can be the warrior and fight fast and hard...

My patrons tell me that I am the most awesome librarian in the universe. Is that good enough??? I am not easily fooled by fast-talking scam artists.

I will be there all day sat & sun. I will pump out more water on both days and refill but it's a slow process filling. I'll get some more shock too. I hope I see some improvement by Sunday evening.

Don't worry I am not Harold Hill ~ LOL!

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.