15 hours of run time on a variable speed pump?

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
Hi guys,

I am currently living a nightmare having a pool put in, but that is another (long) story. Been one problem after another.

Anyway, my question today is should a 14,500 gallon pool (SWG) require 15 hours of run time on a Jandy VSSHP270AUT each day? Seems awfully high, but then again, I'm a noob. Pump is running at a fixed 2200 RPM.

I'm sure you'll need more info from me to help answer this, so please let me know what you need.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

There are actually two question in what you are asking.....

In your pool the run time needs to complete two tasks
* Allow sufficient time ot keep the pool clean
* Allow sufficient time for your SWG to produce the chlorine your pool needs

So, yes we will need a little more information about your pool. The easiest way to give it is to add it to your signature Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Well, looking at it it seems you are running way too much.

To determine for cleaning, read this article - Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

For SWG generation, your cell appears to be rated for 40,000 gallons so it should be able to produce sufficient chlorine in well less than 15 hours, depending on your Stabilizer/CYA level. Do you have afull set of pool test results?

Some thing like this -

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Do yo have your own pool water test kit?

I have a pool test kit, but it was just filled Friday. No test results yet; the builder has been maintaining it thus far.

One note; I was told that we could not use the SWG for 30 days, per PebbleTech. So it is being treated with chlorine until then.

I have a pool test kit, but it was just filled Friday. No test results yet; the builder has been maintaining it thus far.

One note; I was told that we could not use the SWG for 30 days, per PebbleTech. So it is being treated with chlorine until then.
Obviously stick with what the builder says why they are maintain so yo have no warranty issues. While they are in charge do some reading. Our recomendations are quite different from most pool stores and even some builders.

Check out Pool School and start with these articles:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So, welcome to TFP!!

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed, on a new pool first do what the builder says, second do what the plaster mfg says, third do what TFP says and fourth never do what the pool store says. :)

The pump needs to run higher the first 30 days to aid in start up. It should probably be on 24x7. The first 30 days of plaster start up is critical to long term plaster success. Salt should not be added for 30 days.

Here is Pebble Tec's generic pool care guide
Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

Be sure to go here, Product Registration Pebble Tec, to register your warranty. They will also send you a set of start up documents for your pool and a contact for tech support and assistance.

Once everything is going then you can dial in your pump and SWG. I run my pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, making chlorine and filtering. Most folks find that 8 hours is enough. My pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm.

Welcome to TFP!
The pump needs to run higher the first 30 days to aid in start up. It should probably be on 24x7. The first 30 days of plaster start up is critical to long term plaster success. Salt should not be added for 30 days.

This scares me. The pump was initially running 24/7 at max RPM, but due to a leak issue they have it dialed back to the previously mentioned 2200rpm for 15hrs/day until it gets sorted out. Is my pebble finish going to be OK?

I am brushing the finish per their recommendations.

Also, I did a Chlorine test at lunch, and it didn't register anything?! I tried it again and got the same answer... Should I add bleach?

Also, I've already registered with PebbleTec

1800-2200 rpm 24x7 is good.

Yes, keep chlorine above minimum for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
Maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Don't know what CYA is? Read here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You need to order a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.

Your Dallas water is very prone to scale. You probably noticed it in your coffee pot, shower, etc. It is very easy to avoid scale in your pool. But, you have to test your own water. The pool store and a maintenance company will not do it for you. Enter all your test results in PoolMath and it will give you a CSI score. Keep that number between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scale. Not managing CSI can result in having to replaster in 5 or 10 years, or less. Managing your CSI will help your pebbletec last 25 years or more.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.