Pump struggles, overheats

SteveTN

Aug 2, 2016
Lexington TN
Yesterday I was in the pool and all was (seemed to be) working fine. After we had been in for a while I noticed that the pump wasn't running anymore.

Now when I try to start the pump it makes a sound that's steady but sounds like it's struggling and doesn't seem to be pulling much water from the pool. After a few seconds it clicks off. I assume it's overheating. There is a smell that would seem to support the assumption.

Today I had the time to check it out. The impeller is turning nicely and there is no debris inside. I have three pipes coming back from the pool that come together just before the pump. From the point where they come together to the pump there is no clog. There is no clog between the pump and the filter. I cleaned the filter today (I had let it get pretty bad) but it didn't fix the problem. I have a diverter between the pump and the filter that I use when I need to let water out of the pool. Opening this valve (thus taking everything on the pressure side out of the equation) doesn't have any effect on the problem. I don't know if it matters but the equipment is above the level of the pool.

We keep the pool open all year so the pump works pretty hard. I run it about 12 hours/day during the season. Less when the temperature allows during the cold months.

Twice this season the pump as gotten wet enough to trip the breaker on the control panel. The last time was a week or two ago. Once it has dried out it has worked fine both times.

I just checked. It's a 1HP motor.

As sort of a side question, as long as I have water in the pump basket up to bottom of the hole where the water comes in I should be OK as far as priming goes, right?

Any ideas what the problem could be and why it started so suddenly?

Thanks,

Sounds like you have a problem with the motor. It could be the centrifugal switch stuck keeping the start windings energized all the time. That would heat up and trip the motor out. You can turn the power off and pull the cover off the back of the motor and try to move the centrifugal switch with a screwdriver or similar.

Since you say that it's gotten wet enough twice to trip the breaker, that's probably contributed to the demise of the motor.

Yes, for two reasons. 1-the cover we would want is expensive. 2-we like the look better. It's kind of nice to see the pool with the lights on even if it's too cold to swim. (2a With the gas heater we're always thinking of heating up the pool and having a New Year's swim. Haven't done it yet.)

Wow! I'm not real sure where Lexington Tn is, but seems to me you could possibly get 0 degree temperature's in the winter. I am in southern western KY and I know I cant (or wont) keep mine open all year, as much at would like too!!

It turns out I have a switchless motor so not centrifugal switch.

The problem turned out to be the run capacitor was bad. The pump would try to run but apparently couldn't develop enough power without the capacitor. I found one place within driving distance that had the right capacitor. Swapped it out and works like a charm.

I learned a lot about pumps and motors and got a clean filter out of the deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.