I need help BIG TIME... FRUSTRATED

hold it at shock level just one more day to be safe, IMHO...losing more than 1ppm overnight along with the 0.5CC...one more day should get you there...excellent progress :goodjob:

I thought I would have this all figured out by this morning but not sure what is happening here. I continued shocking yesterday and did the over night test again. Here are the results:

Last night

FC 22.5
CC 1
CYA 50

This morning

FC 25
CC 1
CYA 57

I redid the test 3 times this morning to make sure those results were correct. Is it possible for the FC to rise during the night. I didn't check my levels last night until about 2 - 3 hours after I added the last bleach. I thought I would have this all straightened out by today but it looks like another day of shocking???? Right???

How do I continue to shock when the chart is telling me that I don't need to add anymore bleach?

No, FC won't go up by itself. Likely a testing technique issue.

When you add the drops, you do one drop at a time and swirl a couple seconds between each drop? I used to "save time" by doing a bunch of drops all at once but I think it gave me erroneous results.
--paulr

That is exactly what I was doing yesterday Paul. I just got home and ran another test.

FC 13.5
CC .5
CYA 50

Keep shocking? My kids told me that if they can't swim soon that they are moving out and finding a family with a swimable pool! I should do that over night test again and keep shocking until then? I really appreciate all your help!!

Do I keep testing the CYA... it seems to keep changing on me also. I got two bottles when I ordered the kit and I only have enough left to test 1 or 2 more times? I am ordering more now.

Jamie

I hear you. I was beating back a bloom of my own last weekend and the kids were really snippy about it.

Don't keep testing CYA. It won't change unless you lose and replace water.

One more overnight shock and just cross our fingers.
--paulr

The ingredients to clearing a cloudy pool are

1. Chlorine....hold your FC at shock levels until your water is clear, overnight loss is 0, and no CC

2. Filtration...backwashing...brushing...vacuuming...

3. Time... for 1 & 2 to work :goodjob:

I am beginning to think that it is me that is doing something wrong. I haven't added any water but my cya has fluctuated. Also, I did shock it again tonight. I run my filter constantly, we never turn it off. I have my aqua bot turbo running most of the day. I have been sweeping the pool. Now tonight when I went out and was sweeping again I noticed that as I swept it seemed like dirt was flowing across the floor. This is the first time that this has happened. I am terrified that maybe it is algae. Is that at all possible for the amount of bleach that I have been putting in the pool? I mean how can anything possibly be living in there. I am going to do the over night test again and see what the results are in the morning. I know I am testing correctly!

"I feel your pain!" I too have had a very frustrating season trying to get my pool usable. I have shocked 3 times and ready to do the 4th. Everytime I shock I have an equipment failure the next day and lose circulation for several days making the shock tx useless. Chemically, mine has been OK mostly, I had to increase Alkalinity and thanks to this forum I used baking soda from Costco (12 lb bags). I was amazed, it worked, and so easy. This start up w/ "old" H2O is new to me, My pool has been in my family for 60 years, my grandfather built it. But the pool had to be cleaned, repaired, repainted every year. This last year it held H2O all winter after spending 3 years prep-ing and sealing with a liquid rubber based patch and pool sealant. It is cool that it worked, but I was clueless on pool chemicals. I have been in charge of this pool for 30 years and have never shocked it, used an algicide or any other chem except granular trichlor, maybe 2 C / day. But I used brand new H2O every year in a pristine pool. Easier to maintain clear/clean H2O than to fix dark green (my fish pond is much clearer than this) water. I have been making up stuff to do that requires getting in the pond and kinda hang out with the fish to cool off. I am tempted to put Koi in my pool, no more chemicals, lots of filtration, but then I could just con't to swim with the fishes in a 30,000 gallon "pond". I guess that would be awkward to invite guests to swim in your pond, but it would be a cool place to teach scuba lessons, classroom complete with fish, alas, no coral. I could put in some giant TN catfish then tell the students that it is a shark. I know this has been :blah: , I got carried away, but it was nice venting my frustration with a fellow newbie

LOL Sheloveswater.... You are to funny!! Do you scuba dive? We are a big scuba diving family. We love it!!!

Now, my results!!! I think I might be looking ok!!

last night
FC 20
CC .5

this morning
FC 21
CC .5

That is a good thing right?? Encouragement.... that is what I need right now some encouragement!! I believe I can let the kids swim today?? should I work on raising my PH or should I let this go for a day?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Looking for some help on an older post

you've gotten several recent replies. one bottle of POP coming right up ;)
one thing I would mention is, chlorine doesn't go up by itself so your test results don't look trustworthy. could anything else be adding chlorine?

That is what I thought about the FC. Nothing else is adding chlorine and I did the test twice last night and three times this morning with the same results. That is why I am concerned.

Thanks!

FC doesn't go up by itself. Basically one of the tests had to be incorrect. The possible explanations are technique, or not waiting long enough after the evening addition of chlorine and it hadn't all dispersed evenly throughout the pool. If you've been waiting an hour, try waiting 90 min.
--paulr

There you are Paul!! That is what I thought about the FC and why I was so confused this morning. I waited 1 hour and 45 minutes after adding the last dose of bleach to do the test. I tested twice last night and 3 times this am with the same results. I just don't get it. What do you suggest I do? Keep shocking today and another over night test? Keep the kids out another day? Fill the pool with dirt? ha ha just kidding... I am trying to check my patience in check.

Well, unless you have a SWG or chlorinator or some other source you're not telling us about... I suppose as your overnight FC "loss" is less that 1ppm (because -1 is less than 1 :) ) you could say you've met that criterion, and CC is .5. If the water looks clear then you could declare victory and let the FC come down to normal levels. If there's still a problem the pool will let you know soon enough!
--paulr

Test results:
FC 11.5
CC .5
PH 7.4
Alk 120
CH 130

I know that I am close. The pool looks great!! Should I continue to shock to lower the CC or is it ok as is? I have a fiberglass pool so I know I have to do something about the CH and I need to raise the PH. Should I continue with the shock or should I treat the PH and CH and I can I do that all at one time?

Any help is appreciated!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.