Leak -- Emergency Or Not?

geno1005

Aug 30, 2015
Berea, KY
I'm starting a new thread...just seeking some guidance on how much time is too much to wait on fixing a leak. I started noticing the pool losing more water than usual around mid week...and confirmed that it's leaking by end of week. Unfortunately I couldn't get an assistance in on Friday, so here it is on Saturday and the pool is still leaking about an inch to an inch and a half a day. Based on what I've read here that's 1000 to 1500 gallons?

I've walked the perimeter and can't find the water that's leaving...and can't find any flaws in the liner that I can even test with food coloring.

Given that it's going to be another 36+ hours before I can even dream of getting anyone to come help...how long is too long to let the pool just leak before I potentially compromise the stuff under the deck...the pool or both. Or am I over-reacting?

I've also read that draining the pool with a vinyl liner is not a good move either, so I'm caught between two bad choices potentially.

Please help?

Thank you!

According to PoolMath 1" of water in your pool is 320 gallons. It rains lots more than that when it rains. I think it will be fine.

When draining a vinyl pool it is recommended to leave a foot of water in the shallow end to hold the liner in place to prevent shifting or shrinking.

Ok. Thank you. Kinda like when the MD tests you for something and you feel every little pain--sure that you have the disease----I'm now noticing every indention in the side or bottom of the pool and am making the connection that surely the bottom of the pool is washing out in the flood

I will "stand down" until I can seek professional help on Monday. I am going to drop it far enough to completely eliminate the skimmer as even a possibility. The way it's leaking that's easy! Just wait an hour or so! ��

Thank you again. Having a voice of reason is reassuring in times like this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.