Leaking Main Drain. What are my options?

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
I have a customer with a pool that is losing water through the Main Drains at the bottom. I haven't seen for myself, but apparently the plumbing at the drains is in bad shape. Normally, the options are fairly straight forward, either plug off the drains, or dig up the line and replace it.

This pool is rather unique. Its an old concrete pool, that has been lined with fiberglass. So digging up the line is not really an option. From what I have been told, the plumbing may be iron pipe, and rather corroded. It may not be so simple to just plug the drains.

So I'm looking for ideas. This poor woman has problems every year with this pool. I'd like to help her come up with a reasonable solution.

Any ideas?

Not sure if this would be an option or not, but if you can't dig you aren't left with many to begin with. What about looking for what I call a "pig" to plug the drain?
We use "pigs" in the mining industry to plug pipe and holes. If you found one to fit it would stop the leak.

I spoke to my cousin, who happens to also be a pool guy, and he used to take care of this pool for a while before the customer came to the company I work for. Anyway, he remembers the main drain plumbing being old galvanized pipe. So it might be more involved than just plugging it.

As far as fiberglassing over the MD, I don't think we would even need to go that far if we are abandoning the drain. Just epoxy over all the plumbing and seal it all off. The customer wouldn't have a problem with looking at the grates.

I was hoping for something I hadn't thought of, but I have a feeling the situation is as simple as it seems. If the MD is leaking, and I can't dig it up, I need to seal it off.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.