TF-100 Test results...opinions on next steps?

Jun 18, 2016
Bells, TN
I've been following this thread.
New Member New Pool Owner Many Questions
Tried the 10 minute drill for myself Wed. night. Ran out of bleach after 16 gallons. I did it again last night, started around 8 pm and 22 gallons later finally got to where it would hold at 10 for ten or fifteen minutes around midnight. I put in enough soda ash to raise the pH a little, waited a while then put in shock level FC for my CYA level. I raised FC to 14 one more time before I went to sleep. Water looks great other than some dead algae that my filter will just not keep out. After testing this morning these are my results:

FC 4
CC <.5 (but prob not quite 0)
pH <6.8 (base demand test was 12 drops to get to 7.4)
CYA 35
TA 40
CH 150

Questions: Should I continue raising the FC to shock level today or just raise the pH and wait to do the OCLT test?

Get that pH up as soon as you can. Borax would be best to do so. Target a pH of 7.2.

Then raise your FC back to shock level and if you like, perform the OCLT test tonight.

Congrats on getting through the ammonia! It's a bear when you have that much. Typically though when you have ammonia, you'll have 0 ppm CYA. Did you have to add CYA to get to 35 ppm after getting rid of the ammonia?

I did have to add CYA because it was less than 30 when I started trying to manage it. It's now around 36. It has been difficult to judge the CYA level. I wish there was a less subjective method. We have major leaking from the pump, plumbing, and valve and the service man I contacted said it will be next week before he can come out. My test lat night was
FC 15
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 36
TA 100
CH 130
This morning was the same except for
7:30 AM. FC 14 and PH 7.5
10:30 AM FC 13
At what rate should FC decline afterwards that would indicate a problem?

I'm concerned that what I had was mustard algae and with the system leaking so much on filter I ve been keeping on recirculate mostly. I only filter for about and hour while I vacuum. What I vacuum shows up in the pool within a couple of hours.

Since I passed the OCLT should I proceed with the mustard shock level even though my filter isn't functioning correctly?

Sure, that is fine to to mustard shock next. With CYA always round up to the next 10, that will keep you covered on FC. A little more chlorine is always better than a little less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.