Palm Tree Help

We have no potted plants. I m ow the landscapers put some fertilizer down a couple of weeks ago. I never thought palms would be this difficult to take care of. My sago is doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my sago palm and windmill palms always do great. My Piru Queen Palms always look sickly. I haven't done much to fertilize (because their so close to the pool) so that's my next strategy.

My windmills are what looks rough. How often do you water yours?

I don't know Burleson, TX climate, but here in Tucson it is very hot and dry. We get less than 12" of precipitation per year (that's what defines a desert) and so my palms need daily watering. They have a 1/2 GPH emitter and they are watered for about 30mins twice per day during the cooler/wetter months (I cut that back to about 10mis or so when the weather turns freezing overnight and I shutoff all irrigation from January to March as that is when sewer rates are calculated) and they are watered for more like 50-60mins twice per day during the hot & dry season (May-Jul). I always water in the early morning and late evening hours as that is when plant rehydrate themselves the most effectively and daytime watering will just result in too much evaporative loss.

Wow that's a lot. I water 45 minutes 3 times a week and have heavy clay soil. It's been in the 100's here with very high humidity. I haven't found anyone local that has established windmill
palms to get advice from.

RH here in Tucson varies from as "high" as 80-90% all the way down to 5%. During the dry season it's not unheard of for daytime RH to drop to below 10% for most of the day. I'm not sure what uses more water from evaporation, my pool or my landscaping....and I only have plants to water, no grass whatsoever.

Okay, new palm owner here. I have been caring for some costly transplanted palm trees for about 8 weeks now. If you are like me, then you know these can be hard to take care of!!! I have learned a few things (the hard way) which may be helpful. I realize there are real palm experts, or those with much more experience than me out there, but I wanted to share.

I kept my sprinkler schedule the same after my palms were planted as before.

My mistake number one: Over watering.
In my case, symptoms of too much water were brown spots forming on the fronds. This is actually a sign of disease that is enabled by over watering. If you don't reduce the water, the spots will spread and the whole stalk will become necrotic and die. Also, over watered brown fronds feel soggy, or limp, to the touch.

So I cut back on the water.

My mistake number two: Not enough water.
In retrospect, this was evident by the TIPS of the fronds turning brown, whereas over watering damage seems to start in the MIDDLE of the fronds. The tips turn brown, then the brown travels down the stalk to the trunk. Not good. Also, under watered brown fronds feel crispy, and will crunch when you crumble them, or step on them.

One more - palms are actually in the grass family. If your grass is withered, its likely your palms are thirsty.

Another thing - the moisture meter I linked to above seems to be a hindrance, not a help. You can simply look at a palm and know if it is over watered (brown, soggy fronds) or under watered (crispy, brown-tipped fronds).

I do so like their look, and I am continuing to learn. With luck, my palms will thrive. So far, though, its been a bit of a struggle.

Okay, new palm owner here. I have been caring for some costly transplanted palm trees for about 8 weeks now. If you are like me, then you know these can be hard to take care of!!! I have learned a few things (the hard way) which may be helpful. I realize there are real palm experts, or those with much more experience than me out there, but I wanted to share.

I kept my sprinkler schedule the same after my palms were planted as before.

My mistake number one: Over watering.
In my case, symptoms of too much water were brown spots forming on the fronds. This is actually a sign of disease that is enabled by over watering. If you don't reduce the water, the spots will spread and the whole stalk will become necrotic and die. Also, over watered brown fronds feel soggy, or limp, to the touch.

So I cut back on the water.

My mistake number two: Not enough water.
In retrospect, this was evident by the TIPS of the fronds turning brown, whereas over watering damage seems to start in the MIDDLE of the fronds. The tips turn brown, then the brown travels down the stalk to the trunk. Not good. Also, under watered brown fronds feel crispy, and will crunch when you crumble them, or step on them.

One more - palms are actually in the grass family. If your grass is withered, its likely your palms are thirsty.

Another thing - the moisture meter I linked to above seems to be a hindrance, not a help. You can simply look at a palm and know if it is over watered (brown, soggy fronds) or under watered (crispy, brown-tipped fronds).

I do so like their look, and I am continuing to learn. With luck, my palms will thrive. So far, though, its been a bit of a struggle.

So what kind of watering schedule did you come up with in the end?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Agreed. I bought it too and it's really not suited at all for outdoor use in my heavy clay soil. The package even says "Indoor Use" on it so it's basically really designed for potted plants where inconsistent watering is common.

If I go by what I see with my own palms, my guess is they suffer from dryness and a little nutrient deficiency. The soil here is terribly alkaline and heavily laden with calcium carbonate (caliche). I can scoop up a Dixie cup half full with native soil and, if I put white vinegar in it, it will literally fizz and foam for a good minute or two. So nutrient uptake from native soil is really difficult here. I may go by my local nursery and get some specialized palm fertilizer. I already have to use a specialized iron chelate on my citrus trees or else they get chlorotic in the spring from lack of iron.

Interested to see how your watering experiments go.

So I've been using the palm tree food spikes for the last two weeks and I also switched to a regimen of flood watering the palm tree area once per week and then letting the drip irrigation handle the day-to-day moisture. The ground is no longer as dry as it used to be, but the palm trees seem a bit happier. There are also new shoots coming out and they look very strong to me -

DAC66D81-DB86-428F-AEE7-BE84763F7575_zps5rxgqg5u.jpg

Compare that to my sickly palm which I have not done anything for -

D776D190-C4C3-4B87-AE95-38FF41210518_zpskgbtuez5.jpg

I like the idea of having the spikes in the ground as they are supposed to last 6 months so I don't mind digging them up and redoing them twice per year. It also keeps me from having to spread liquid or granular fertilizer on the ground near the pool.

116797f5b283a82f4d573c3e76e744be.jpg

These two things he said were a must. And he said my drip system I have installed wouldn't be enough water and that I need to water on top of that at least 2-3 times a week for like 3 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

116797f5b283a82f4d573c3e76e744be.jpg

These two things he said were a must. And he said my drip system I have installed wouldn't be enough water and that I need to water on top of that at least 2-3 times a week for like 3 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info!! I'll have to go look for some of that fungicide.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.