Nervous New Pool Owners!

Jun 13, 2016
Roanoke, Va
My husband and I recently bought the Bestway 22ftx52" PowerSteel Frame above ground pool. We spent two days leveling our ground using a peg in the centerpoint of the pool, drove into the ground with a 12' long 2x4 attached to it at a swivel point with a level taped to it. We used this to level all the way around the circumference of the pool, adding and taking away dirt as needed so that it was within one inch of level all the way around. We then added 2 tons of sand and graded it out to be as level as we possibly could. We set up our pool last night and started to fill it. I have only owned a pool once and it was several years ago, so I don't remember much. My husband is worried that the ground is too soft because you can still move the sand around (with only one inch of water, not even all the way across the floor) and I said I think that's not a big deal. The weight of the water once the pool is filled will compact that sand down further right?? Also we were frustrated because the once perfectly level surface now has dips where we are pushing out the liner to the edges. Personally I think you will never be able to get it COMPLETELY level on the floor and there will always be small dips. Sorry for the long post but we are going to continue to fill it today and are just worried if we need to take it down and start over. (I sure hope not!) Thanks for reading! :)

Welcome to TFP :)

most of the time the sand is compacted and hard when the pool is installed... it will still work but you may have footprints or divots in the bottom..

I hope this helps :)

Keep a REAL close eye on the water level. If you see that it is more than 1/2" unlevel stop adding water as it will only get worst the more your water goes up.

We suggest you only go DOWN to solid ground instead of adding to raise it. It CAN and should be level before the pool is put on and up. The sand can and will shift as you work on the pool liner :( My guy spent SO much time getting it just right but we still have small divots.

Kim:cat:

We tamped it two or three times complete, the dirt below the sand and also the sand.. that's why we couldn't really understand how it moved at all. My husband is just worried about the safety of it and with loose sand on the bottom, if it will fall over or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.