New pool, existing group what for underlay?

stev

Jun 4, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
So I purchased a house a year ago that previously had a pool that right before I purchased the house the pool got destroyed by mother nature. So I have a nice all around deck build for a pool but no pool.

This past week I stumbled on a used pool in the classifieds that I couldn't pass up the deal. Same dimensions as my deck and all so I bit the bullet, the pool itself is in great shape, no rust anywheres. Came with all the pumps etc, and I even had the stuff from the previous owners so now I have doubles along with a heat pump as well. The pool in question is a 21ft, 52" high.

My question is, in my deck area the ground was already set and levelled previously now before I start putting in this used pool (I am going to put in a new liner) I want to figure out what should I be putting under the pool? Currently its not super fine sand but some sort of sand/fine rocks.

I am debating whether or not to do foam? However I am hesitant and I've read people claim the foam will separate and cause gaps and it will be felt inside the pool and could damage the liner.

The other question I have is, if I were to do foam. Would I do the foam only inside the pool walls or would I make the foam extrude about 3-4" outside the pool wall and let the actual pool supports rests on the foam as well?

Thanks! I looked at some foam prices yesterday and was thinking of going with .5" rigid foam (the pink stuff from home depot). However what I am not sure about is whether or not this foam should be only inside the pool wall or if I should have it extend out a few inches so that my legs/supports sit on the foam as well?

I see you cut yours out, but whats the reason behind that? What about the height difference then of the foam consider that your liner will sit on top of the foam and your legs are technically that .5" or 1" (depending on foam size) lower.

once you cut the foam and put the blocks under the legs it ends up being the same height or really close :)

once you cut the foam and put the blocks under the legs it ends up being the same height or really close :)

So your talking about little cement blocks like these? Maybe not as thick? I already have these around the area from the previous owner, i guess I'd just have to level the stuff more.

Concrete-Block-Home-Depot-Remodelista.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.