2016 pump that doesnt suck the electricity!?

Do the experts have any pref.on new ENERGY EFFICIENT pump as far as brands and models? I think I have overbought for my pump/filter/pool . My electric bill literally jumped up 240KW for a one WEEK (not month) period once I started running pump !!!! (Insert falling out of chair here and gasping). The pump is HOTTTTT to touch always and has even melted the outside somewhat at some point. I'm looking at buying a 1.5hp. Of course EcoPump salesman is trying to convince me to buy that. My husband says that they're overpriced and we can get something most likely as efficient without paying over 890.00. I have read and read and read for hours on the forums. I just don't get all the amps/kw/math etc everyone is jabbering about. I do know that I need to get a multispeed or 2-speed atleast.So, can someone make it easier and just tell me what to buy, please :) ? I'm ok with making investment up from to save on my monthly electric bill. $300+ in summer is not what I want to spend considering my house is only 4 years old so I know I'm not pulling all of that from the A/C. Thanks !!!

Any two speed or VS pump will be more efficient. Brands and models don't matter much. Slowing the flow rate is what saves the energy.

You can also simply replace the motor of your current pump with a two speed motor and save over 75% in energy.

What is your current pump make and model?

I don't know enough to recommend pumps, but how many hours a day is your current pump running? You really only need to run it enough to keep it clean. Some folks run theirs for 4 hours, some 8 hours, and some 12. I run mine for about 7 hours mainly because of dog hair and tree debris.

I run mine 24/7. I tried it on timer before and it just wouldn't stay clean . I live in country and its ground level causing every single blade of grass, tumbleweed, speck of dirt etc to blow right across and into it.

It's a Waterway 2hp model SD-20-1N11cd . It also says 48 HI-FL on it.

Thats a REALLY powerful pump right there. Its rated at something like 17amps, thats why its costing a lot to run it, especially if you are running 24/7.

Does your pool have multiple suction and/or returns? 33ft round but 28K gallons makes me think its deeper than the standard 4 feet, yes? It might not be able to keep the pool clean because of lack of circulation in certain areas, not because of a lack of pump power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.