Converting to Salt Water

May 29, 2016
Lumberton TX
After talking to many pool owners, we are considering switching to a salt water system.

Right now, I have a sand filter pump.

Is it cheaper in the long run to use a salt water system as opposed to all the chemicals I'd have to use without one? Do you even have to use chemicals with a salt water system?

Do I have to buy a whole new pump or is there a way to convert our current pump to a salt water system??

Any advice, suggestions, opinions??

Welcome to TFP :)

This is all you will need for equipment, maybe a couple hoses also, I am not sure what comes in the SWG..
Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need to test for salt in your water now and then using poolmath it will tell you how much more salt to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Always have a couple bottles of bleach handy as SWG keep chlorine steady but have a hard time raising chlorine

Going to a SWG I think you should really look at geting a test kit like the TF100, I don't think you want to empty the pool and then add 200 pounds of salt every year, just treat your pool as a permanent and test just like we do :)

check out the links in my sig below :)

Welcome to TFP :)

This is all you will need for equipment, maybe a couple hoses also, I am not sure what comes in the SWG..
Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need to test for salt in your water now and then using poolmath it will tell you how much more salt to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Always have a couple bottles of bleach handy as SWG keep chlorine steady but have a hard time raising chlorine

Going to a SWG I think you should really look at geting a test kit like the TF100, I don't think you want to empty the pool and then add 200 pounds of salt every year, just treat your pool as a permanent and test just like we do :)

check out the links in my sig below :)
Good post!!!

The SWG come with one hose..

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

The only thing the SWG saves you is buying bleach and dumping it in. You still need to test the rest and tweak the pH from time to time (Maybe quite often in the beginning) and ensure the SWG settings are correct. The FC demand can vary depending on sunlight, temperature and how many people are in the pool and for how long so you'll be fussing with that now and then. And there's still brushing and vacuuming. Again, all the SWG does is save you from manually adding chlorine.

There is no completely automated pool system. People are constantly trying with automatic pool sweeps, acid dosing systems, and chlorine systems, but they are far from perfected and still require someone to test the water regularly.

With a 4545 gallon pool, the savings in time and money may be minimal. But then, the SWG for your pool isn't expensive. In this case, I'd put it at an "it's up to you".

Richard is right, it will free you from buying bottles of chlorine, and will reduce the number of times you need to test within a month. At first, you'll have to test FC and pH daily. Once you get your pump and SWG where FC is stable, and where you are comfortable with how pH is affected, and if you have TA in balance, you can most likely go to weekly testing of FC and pH, and monthly testing of the rest. I consider this "Pool Chemistry 201", as it's that level you hit when you know what to expect and know the effects of everything you do or add to your pool. It's pool nirvana, but again as Richard says it does not eliminate the need to test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.