2 new's. New Jersey, new pool owner

Excellent, so unlikely that we lost 50% in 10 minutes! That's good, but let's check one more time. Mix it up real well and then test, then we'll wait 10 minutes and test again.

Next test, try using a 10 ml sample. One scoop of powder. You'll multiply the drops by 0.5 instead of 0.2 so we save on reagent drops.

During the wait, find a couple of old socks and some heavy string or light rope for hanging the CYA sock in front of a return. Around a 3 or 4 foot piece of wood or something to hang the rope out over the edge of the pool so we keep the sock off the wall of the pool.

Are you using Pool Math to figure the amount? Also, it'll take some mixing by your pump and with the brush to get it well mixed. Try testing 15 minutes after adding, then we'll wait the 10 minutes. Are you pouring the bleach slowly in front of a return? (take a minute to 2 minutes to empty a jug)

I think you've got this underway really well. I'm heading off to sleep in a half hour or so, but there will be plenty of others keeping an eye on the thread and will answer any questions you have.

I don't think you have CYA-eating bacteria, so the CYA should hold, but strictly speaking we haven't done that test. I would add 20 more PPM CYA to add to the 10 PPM that is already in there, assume you have 30 PPM CYA, and SLAM at 12 PPM FC. The CYA won't show up properly in a test until at least end of tomorrow. Waiting another day would be better. You can massage the socks every 10/15 minutes to speed up the CYA dissolving.

The filter should be backwashed now, so that the CYA doesn't go to the filter just to be backwashed out before it's fully dissolved.

Overall it sounds to me like you've learned everything well and are applying it just fine. If the FC stays at 12 and above, your SLAM will go quick as it can.

Brushing is always good, and also looking for algae hiding places and brushing with a hand held brush or cloth is also helpful (back of skimmer weirs, under ladder rungs, inside light niches, under the coping edge, etc.)... everything helps. Well done and good luck with it all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sun will burn it off very fast. With no CYA, the half life is something like 35 minutes, so the CYA is needed to help it hold better. Get FC to 10-12 as soon as you can. In a couple of days, if we see zero CYA, then you do/did have CYA-eating bacteria, but keeping FC up to 12 is the same process anyway - it just takes more chlorine and more frequent additions. Worst case is we have to re-do the CYA. Hope you found a good price on plain bleach.

The 6 is working because the CYA isn't all there yet, but the sooner you bring the FC level up and hold it, the better. That's how I understand it all anyway. I think you're doing just fine. The FC is getting lost to the sun, but also getting used up by killing algae. I suspect you would have a few PPM of combined chlorine by now, so time to start testing and reporting that as well.

My sense is that you understand it all really well, and I'm talking too much!!

- - - Updated - - -

No worries, mate, I'm testing myself as well. Have a great day sniffing chloramines and knowing algae is going to be a thing of the past!

I am starting to get a better understanding of it thanks to you. I'm getting store brand bleach for 2.99. I didn't realize how much bleach it would take. I've already gotten 9 gallons in the pool. Going to get about 10 more

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Take a picture each day looking straight down at your pool steps. That will help you see the progress as the water clears. The overshooting by that amount shouldn't occur if you based your addition on PoolMath, so if you're confident you did it right from PoolMath, your volume estimate for the pool water could be on the high side. Really fresh bleach could have been a bit above 8.25%, but that wouldn't explain 17 vs. 12. And finally, you can swim up to shock level for your CYA, but not above, so swimming is out unless you're below 12. Given that the FC over-shot, think about whether the CYA might be above 30 as well. If you think it could be, the higher level FC is good. You can test the CYA by end of tomorrow and we'll know.

I'm heading out, but there's others here who will answer questions. Good work on it so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.