How crucial is a second return? Could you live with a single return?

MitchRyan912

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Madison, WI
I only have one return, and that's how this pool has been since day 1. I've heard others say things along the lines of "I couldn't live without a single return in my pool," so I was wondering how indispensable having multiple returns are to your pool?

If multiple returns are absolutely necessary to you, what do you do with them to improve circulation?

How does one return work in your pool now? Do you get effective skimming? Have dead spots where leaves and junk hang out?

The idea of pool returns is to set them all pointing the same direction create a circular water flow to move debris to the skimmer(s). Usually, either clockwise or counterclockwise will work better depending on wind direction and other factors.

All of my returns are all at one end of the pool. So yes, I have four returns, but it's like having one really wide return. Could you easily install two returns (or more) just all on the same wall?

It has worked pretty well that way since '57...

The pool at my house only has one return jet. I kind of hate the way it's set up, but honestly it works really well. I have one skimmer, and one return jet. They are both overhanging the top edge of my pool into the water, and within 6 inches of each other. The jet points the opposite direction of the mouth of the skimmer so as to push all the water around into it's mouth. It works fine, even if I was skeptical and still hate it. But it makes winterizing fairly easy and I guess I can't complain.

I only have one return in my 21,000 gallon in ground. In the shallow end. I'm sure two would be better but I get along fine w just one. Maybe I would get better skimming action w two but I don't see that having just one causes any issues...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.