Refinishing slide

Second coat yesterday. Doing it in my screened porch and it rained last night. Top of slide was close enough to screen to get some water splatter before it fully cured. Will have to touch up the top some more. Some close pics.
cc5f41f9d72859de16a95fc0232654ca.jpg

5701ce1d44179bce816a0c79f13d8b53.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reinstalled the slide today. Did not touch up the top yet. Too many other things to do before lots of guests this week.
abaeb8f3a6d4e7baed9db822b4a7bd8a.jpg

Of course now the spray fittings are shot. Nozzles brittle and broken. Replaced 2 years ago with Poolmaster brand... will have to do it again. Think I'll make my own brass fittings at some point.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Bought some brass fittings. Modified caps to be the nozzles thanks to the drill press at work. Not the prettiest but we'll see how they work.
1a74e337200316a25550cb85de7a4eb4.jpg

Rainy all day so maybe install tomorrow. Will have to widen the nozzle holes in the slide just a little to fit the brass T at the top and union at the bottom.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!

Yes. All the fittings will be brass. Hoping the threaded portion is long enough to allow me to tighten the modified caps to form a seal. Sticking with polyethylene tubing for now. Might switch to a more durable irrigation tubing if I find this stuff is getting brittle too quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So... the caps I made because I like the shape because I'd like a rounded end rather than a square end to the cap are flare fittings rather than compression. I believe it's impossible to buy a 1/4" compression to 1/4" flare union or T ... I'll have to figure out a different cap solution. The flare caps screw on the compression union only about half a turn. No chance of a seal there...

I may have to go with this for a cap, but I don't like the square/sharp corners at end of the cap.

17000005.jpg

I tried the new caps with holes drilled in them... not so good. Even with minimal pressure, its like a sprinkler shooting straight off the slide. I'm going to need to drill/grind out a slot on one side of each cap at the end so the water shoots down onto the slide rather than a fountain... Kind of embarrassing that I didn't see this coming.

And it's too dang hot for more today. Beer drinking weather!

I used 120 grit sanding discs on my hand orbital sander to start. Any orbital sander will do, just make sure to buy the right sandpaper discs for your sander. Mine was a cheap Harbor Freight/Northern Tool brand that I inherited with the house... was left in the garage. 3M sanding sponges work great for inside curves and tight areas. The Pro grade ones last longer. Medium is about 100 grit, fine grit ones are closer to 200, if I recall correctly.

100-120 grit will take off any deposits or help prep an area for patching with bondo/plumbers epoxy. If you need to patch any holes or thin areas, sand around them with 100-120 grit, rinse well with water, dry then patch and resand with 100-120 to level the area. Even if you don't have to patch at all, go over the whole thing with ~120 grit first. Then go over the whole thing, anywhere you're going to paint, with 220 grit. Then wash with dish soap, rinse THOROUGHLY with water. Then you can move onto first coat of paint.

This has some good info on surface prep. The better the prep, the better the finish.

Second coat yesterday. Doing it in my screened porch and it rained last night. Top of slide was close enough to screen to get some water splatter before it fully cured. Will have to touch up the top some more. Some close pics.
cc5f41f9d72859de16a95fc0232654ca.jpg

5701ce1d44179bce816a0c79f13d8b53.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
this looks great. Question how was the product overall. The slide looks great but did it have a slippery quality to it making it great for sliding. Did this finish make the slide slower at all? I am looking to redo our slide and want to make sure this is the correct product.
Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.