It's a new year and I have the same problems. Please help.

I used it last night. I have some of the stabilizer, about 54oz as suggested by the calc in a sock. We bought borax to use today as well as more of the liquid chlorine (10%). Is it ok to do these at the same time or should I space them out?

I also ordered the new SWG as suggested here, Circupool SJ-40 which will be installed at the same time as my heat pump, Heat Siphon Z575HC, which as also shipped. Thanks for the recommendation.

I tried to follow the pool calc and added what it said. Here is where I am as of today:

PH = 8 (11 drops of R0005 to drop to a 7.8)
ALK = 280
Calc TH = 475
CYA = 40
FC = 1
CC = 1

The water is still clear, but I still have the brown substance at the bottom of the pool as well. I have unplugged the permasalt before adding anything last round. I did use my robot cleaner and it removed 95% of the brown substance from the bottom of the pool. I covered it last night and most of the brown stuff has come back. I was thinking it might be pollen as it appears I have pollen marks around the side of the pool at water level and inside the skimmer at water level.

What do you suggest I do next?

I am so confused about why your pH and TA are so high? That does not make sense.

You need to add muriatic acid to get the pH down, you may not need that borax ever. And then follow the SLAM process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should not need 2 cases of acid.

We just need to get that pH down a bit so you can start the SLAM. You can add another bottle of bleach.

With your CYA level, you will eventually need to maintain the FC level at 16ppm for the SLAM.

Ok.. just did the remaining tests:

Ph: 7.2
Alk: 220
C TH: 500
CYA: 35 (estimate as no line between 30 and 40)
FC: 2
CC: 1

The water is still clear. I still have the brown substance on the bottom of my pool. Pictures are about the same as my original posted here: Pool Help Needed - Album on Imgur

I would take more but it is raining on and off right now. What would you like next?

It's probably worth mentioning that I'm about 3/4 to 1" high on my water level right now from the rain. I have a pole with a triangle shaped brush with a hose attachment that I connect the hose to the plate in my skimmer to vacuum with. I am thinking of using that to try and vacuum out the brown stuff by setting my sand filter to bypass to waste. Thoughts?

I'm no expert, but you still have a lot of combined chlorine, and your FC is way too low to be able to kill anything based on your CYA.

Clear water or not, the CC, I believe, means something is fighting your chlorine and with an FC of 2, you're not going to win that fight. You'll want to use pool math to boost FC to SLAM levels and hold it there religiously until you pass an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT). Letting the FC crash just means you're prolonging your agony.

I just noticed I forgot to mention my calcium total hardness was 500. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I'm still not clear on the brown substance at the bottom of my pool. It moves easily if brushed and comes up with my robot cleaner. 12 hours later it seems to settle back in the same places. Could this be brown mustard algae and what you are referring to as 'fighting something'. I'm new at this.. just wondering.

I punched the following numbers into the pool calc:

size 13,500 gal
FC 2, goal 16
ph 7.2, goal 7.2
ta 220, goal 220
cya 35, goal 35
ch 500, goal 500
temp 63

It suggests I add 3 gallons of liquid chlorine. Can someone validate I am doing this correctly? I have the liquid chlorine 10% to add. I just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.