New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

OK, then 25k gallons is probably a good estimate to start with when using PoolMath.

As you go forward with testing and adding various chemical, we can see if you are hitting your desired targets or if you are consistently off a bit in one direction or the other and adjust the volume as needed.

Here are the store test results so we have some kind of idea:

She calculated me at 29,160 gallons

FC: 0.06 PPM
TC: 0.39 PPM
CC: 0.33 PPM
PH: 6.8 PPM
Hardness: 79 PPM
Alkalinity: 12 PPM
CYA: 4 PPM
Copper: 0.4 PPM
Iron: 0.1 PPM
Phosphate: 0 PPB

Any recommendations until I get my good test kit?

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

I do not think the volume is that high, especially given your statement about the constant shallow end.

I would add 30ppm of baking soda which in 25k gallons is 11 pounds. That will start getting the TA and pH up. You can find larger packages like this in the pool area of Walmart, instead of buying a bunch of 1 pound boxes.

And just continue to add 1 bottle of bleach per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Those metal readings are a little concerning ... did anything you added have copper in it?

I do not think the volume is that high, especially given your statement about the constant shallow end.

I would add 30ppm of baking soda which in 25k gallons is 11 pounds. That will start getting the TA and pH up. You can find larger packages like this in the pool area of Walmart, instead of buying a bunch of 1 pound boxes.

And just continue to add 1 bottle of bleach per day.

- - - Updated - - -

Those metal readings are a little concerning ... did anything you added have copper in it?
OK, awesome!!! Thank you [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji227]

Ah, Jason beat me to everything. Yes, Nature2 has minerals in it, which could be why your copper numbers are high. Probably right on the threshold but keep an eye out for any staining. You don't have a heater plumbed in, do you?

Read and Reread the SLAM article while you wait on your kit so you know it well when you are ready. Just wait, you are going to be looking at this pool in June completely unable to tell it was ignored for 4 years.

So I just looked up what the products you are using are.

On the plus side, the bags of shock you are using were not acidic Dichlor or Trichlor, so they were not adding CYA, but ... they are cal-hypo which add calcium (CH) and can actually make the water cloudy. So this would not have driven the pH and TA down.

The sticks are Trichlor which is acidic and adds CYA. And while I do not see a listing for copper, there is a chance that the 10% they do not list could be copper.

The BackUp is some algaecide that just serves no purpose.

If the Nature 2 has been used a lot in the past, that is certainly the source of the copper and with levels as high as they report, could result in staining of the pool. Only way to lower the concentration of metal in the water is by replacing water. You may need to use metal sequestrants in the future to prevent staining.

Yeah, that is a tough call I know.

You can certainly clean up the water you have and have a safe pool, but if the copper levels are truly that high, you might end up with some staining in the pool (safe, just not aesthetically pleasing) if you do not constantly use sequestrants. And the copper could also turn blond hair green ... how is your family's complexion? :mrgreen:

Yeah, that is a tough call I know.

You can certainly clean up the water you have and have a safe pool, but if the copper levels are truly that high, you might end up with some staining in the pool (safe, just not aesthetically pleasing) if you do not constantly use sequestrants. And the copper could also turn blond hair green ... how is your family's complexion? :mrgreen:
Two of my step kids have very fair skin and burn easily....plae with freckles and red hair [emoji2]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would this be a look you could own?:

article-0-0CC14B6200000578-521_468x538-260x300.jpg

Best Metal Sequestriant for Copper at .4

Merged by moderator. Please keep all you posts related to clearing up your pool together. Thanks, jblizzle

Afternoon!

I have decided not to drain my pool at this time. My copper came back at .4 so I need a sequestriant. Does anyone have a particular recommendation?

Also....should I hold off on my bleaching and baking soda additions until I get the sequestriant or should I go ahead and add the baking soda and bleach? Also......on the baking soda......is there any specific directions on how where to put it and how much at a time or just all at once? I have to add 11lbs.

Right now, nothing is in the pool for chems. Just the pump running 24/7 and the Nature2 vessel being removed tonight providing this darn rain holds off.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!! [emoji2]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.