Skimmer Box collapsed!

Apr 30, 2016
Lewisville
Just upgraded our Pro Series AGP 16' X 48" which has an in the wall skimmer with A type filter cartridge with a 1000 gph small pump attached to the bottom of the skimmer box. The pump gave out, it lasted 2 years. So we decided to upgrade to an intex 3000 gph sand filter pump, it also has an intex salt water chlorinator attached as well ( which we have used from day 1).

This pump is incredible! However, it might be too powerful for my standard issue Skimmer box. We have dead algae on the bottom of the pool, so I was vacuuming it up to waste, since it is so fine it passes through. So there I was vacuuming away, and my son starts yelling "Dad, it's crushing the skimmer box!" We quickly turned off the power, released the vacuum attache to the skimmer box, and pushed the concaved box back to "normal"! I thought maybe it was because I was vacuuming to waste so I just vacuumed to filter. It immediately collapsed again. I know is a matter of time before it fails.

So I ordered a replacement Hayward in wall skimmer box. After reading some other posts on here, I'm thinking I can do this.

My question is did I do something wrong? Will this new box crush?

Also, I have no valves installed, since none came with the pool. Do I need to install some? Where? Type? I think I do because when I went to empty the new skimmer basket on the sand filter I had no way to stop the water from flooding out of the basket. They weren't necessary with the original setup of filter cartridge in the in the wall skimmer box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.