Are all these 10+ chemicals really neccessary?

Well I don't buy from him anyway though I suppose he didn't know it was going to be that way.

So the advantage to an
SWG system is that it's easier to keep the water balanced and you use less chlorine?

The link from Jason- How do I use chlorine in my spa?- doesn't apply to this system?

It is not so much about using more or less chlorine, but that the SWG makes the chlorine on the spot from the salt water, so all you have to do is add a few pounds of salt to the water whenever you change the water and then once you get the water balanced there is little else you need to do until the next water change. This means fill the tub, add salt, CYA and adjust the pH and TA, then it is just periodically check the FC and pH, if the FC is out of line either turn the SWG up or down, and adjust the pH as needed, if the pH drift is too fast then you may need to adjust the TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No.

3 of the 5 have to do with corrosion. The salt level is really only about 3-4 times higher in a SWG pool as a chlorine pool. But still 10 times less than the ocean. So while it may speed up corrosion some, especially in arid climates with little rain, it is not as bad as the fear mongering. We have 1000s of owners with SWG pools I have not seen much in the way of corrosion problems.

Another point is the cell replacement. The cells are in fact about 1/2 the cost they state. And in the long run maintaining a SWG pool costs about the same as a normal chlorine bleach pool. You just have a large cost every 3-5 years instead of constantly paying for chlorine.

Finally the high chlorine levels. Well that is not going to happen to an attentive owner. TFP still recommends near daily testing. I have never seen a thread where a members chlorine went crazy high from a SWG.

What about this?--

1. It still needs chemicals…just not how you imagine
Both pool types need equal attention to the other factors, which make up swimming pool (or hot tub) chemical water balance. But, there may be some trade-offs.
For instance, a pool using solid chlorine, i.e. jumbo tablets or chlorine sticks may find that the pH (acidity) remains fairly stable, while a SWG pool more than likely finds that the demand of the pool for acid (i.e. reducing pH) is greater.
Also, a SWG pool will require more frequent additions of chlorine conditioner, as the chlorine your system is generating does not contain the chlorine conditioner.

2 “No need for maintenance” is a myth
A pool using a solid form of chlorine may occasionally require a “shock” to boost or super-chlorinate your pool, removing organic contaminants. A SWG typically has a built-in feature, which allows the SWG to perform a “super-chlorinate or “boost” function. A SWG system does require maintenance at times, including a process to remove scale, which may build up on the cells. The lifespan of a SWG cell is approximately 3-5 years.
Your pool may also require a topping-off of the salt level due to splash out, walkout or dilution from evaporation.

What about this?--

1. It still needs chemicals…just not how you imagine
Both pool types need equal attention to the other factors, which make up swimming pool (or hot tub) chemical water balance. But, there may be some trade-offs.
For instance, a pool using solid chlorine, i.e. jumbo tablets or chlorine sticks may find that the pH (acidity) remains fairly stable, while a SWG pool more than likely finds that the demand of the pool for acid (i.e. reducing pH) is greater.
Also, a SWG pool will require more frequent additions of chlorine conditioner, as the chlorine your system is generating does not contain the chlorine conditioner.

2 “No need for maintenance” is a myth
A pool using a solid form of chlorine may occasionally require a “shock” to boost or super-chlorinate your pool, removing organic contaminants. A SWG typically has a built-in feature, which allows the SWG to perform a “super-chlorinate or “boost” function. A SWG system does require maintenance at times, including a process to remove scale, which may build up on the cells. The lifespan of a SWG cell is approximately 3-5 years.
Your pool may also require a topping-off of the salt level due to splash out, walkout or dilution from evaporation.

some is true :)

1. jumbo tablets or chlorine sticks: they are acidic and bring your PH down and with high TA it evens out, if you bring your TA down and use a SWG the PH will also raise very slowly or not at all like mine, I do have to add a capfull of MA once and awhile :)

2. they are talking about CYA, so yes you will have to manually add it, no issues there

For a rental I would not even blink at adding a SWG, once you get your water setup it is super easy and you can teach the rental people how to test it within 20 minutes.. if to much chlorine hit the button to turn down if to much hit the button to turn up, easy peasy :) here are a couple shots of mine

hpoeiMBh.jpg

xq0nlRMh.jpg

G2eQfwyh.jpg

the megachlor DO would work great also, I keep mine on 4 and have not moved it since install :)
Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

Sjde... don't over think this whole thing. Been doing the hot tub thing for 30 years.

I use one of these http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hy...HBCGBkj5_BfROsOieWknUF_Qxo5n9b0EMxhoCVK_w_wcB

Along with a couple 1 inch chlorine tabs each week and a tablespoon of non chlorine shock after every use (which for us is daily) that's about all you need, change the water every 4-6 months and adjust for PH (I have to use PH up) and you are good to go. My tub is always pristine! Test strips work great and stupid easy to use.

Sjde... don't over think this whole thing. Been doing the hot tub thing for 30 years.

I use one of these http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hy...HBCGBkj5_BfROsOieWknUF_Qxo5n9b0EMxhoCVK_w_wcB

Along with a couple 1 inch chlorine tabs each week and a tablespoon of non chlorine shock after every use (which for us is daily) that's about all you need, change the water every 4-6 months and adjust for PH (I have to use PH up) and you are good to go. My tub is always pristine! Test strips work great and stupid easy to use.

AO, we do not recommend the nature 2 for anything, it adds minerals and metals to water that can and will cause staining.. yes in a hot tub it is less likely it will be a problem if you drain 3 to 4 times a year but it's something you really don't want in your tub... and the reason you are adding ph up (you can use borax way cheaper) is because your 1 inch tabs are very acidic and also adding CYA with each one.

As I said I have used one my hot tub for five years, virtually no maintenance, I would think that should answer most of your questions rather or not they work. Yes, you have to check the pH once in a while, but once you figure out the setting you need based on the usage virtually never add chlorine. Once the pH is stabilized I rarely have to mess with it. I keep mine setting on two if it's not being used, which represents two hours a day. If I'm using it regularly the number 4 setting works perfect. My tub is 400 gallons. My first one died after 4 1/2 years, this is what I have now.

Amazon.com : Solaxx CLG20A Saltron Mini Drop-in Salt Chlorine Generator for Swi Spas and Spas Up to 2000-Gallons : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden

I am not promoting any brand, there are many to choose from. Nothing is going to be 100% maintenance-free, but for a hot tub this is as close as you'll get IMHO. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO, we do not recommend the nature 2 for anything, it adds minerals and metals to water that can and will cause staining.. yes in a hot tub it is less likely it will be a problem if you drain 3 to 4 times a year but it's something you really don't want in your tub... and the reason you are adding ph up (you can use borax way cheaper) is because your 1 inch tabs are very acidic and also adding CYA with each one.

Update, seems nature 2 uses silver in the spa stick and that is better than the copper in the pool sticks but it is still a metal :) just wanted to clarify that

Update, seems nature 2 uses silver in the spa stick and that is better than the copper in the pool sticks but it is still a metal :) just wanted to clarify that

Yeah, my potable drinking water purifier uses silver also. Been using the Nature 2 for several years now and any hot tub issues I had in the past are non existent now. I like em.. and no staining that I have noticed.

I saw a test kit at the store today - HTH brand. I'm assuming you don't recommend it since you mentioned the Taylor 2006 and that I think was $40 -something . This was $20. It tested total chlorine, bromine, pH, total alkalinity, total hardness and cyanuric acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.