Help need with Slam

Sep 9, 2015
Ky
First time using Bleach last fall my CYA levels were over 200 from years of using pool store pucks so I drained over 3/4 of the pool before closing. I opened it a few day ago and it had a decent amount of algae which appears to be gone now and my new CYA level is around 40. I installed a new VS Pump which is really cool but I had to rewire and replumb a lot of PVC. My old electric was several inches too short so I had to start over and run 12 ft of new line always fun. Anyways back to the water, it is now cloudy and a little green, I have added 12 jugs of Clorox 8.5%, PH is 7.4 Alkalinity is around 140 so those numbers are good. I'm getting so weird readings on my test kit. Around 16 for Chlorine but my test strips that test the FC chlorine aren't reading anything. I am guessing I still need to add more bleach. I took a sample up to the pool store just to see what their numbers were and they said my total Cholrine was 15 and FC was 1.2. My other test numbers matched theirs and they suggested I buy something called CLC 3 which is a granular shock and then potassium peroxymono to clear up the cloudiness. I didn't buy anything and wanted to consult the folks here and see what I needed to do to bring the FC up and get ride of the cloudiness

Thanks

That is because test strips are useless and likely the color is being completely faded out by the high FC levels. And forget the pool store testing.

What test kit are YOU using?

With a CYA of 40ppm, you need to maintain the FC level at 16ppm and just follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 tests to stop.

What have your CC numbers been?
How often are you having to backwash the filter and recharge with DE? We recommend doing so when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I have the TFT 100 kit. I have backwashed the filter 3 times it is running around 10%. regarding the test strips they don't turn color but will turn color when I add the Clorox and move the strip closer to the jet they will register high . I don't think my FC is high I am going to test again this evening and will report back.

I'm trying to figure out the cloudiness and odd color

so according the TFT kit I have FC at around 20 and no CC reading. What I don't get is why the pool is still cloudy and why the test strips show no Free Chlorine but if dip it into Clorox it turns dark blue as I would expect. I would think if my FC was really 20 the strips would be off the chart with a dark blue color just like dipping them into the bottle of Clorox.

Clorox directly is a ridiculously high ppm of FC, so who knows what is happening with the strips.

Do this, pick up the remaining test strips, walk over to your garbage can, toss them in ... problem solved ;)

Trust the TF-100.

Have you tried the OCLT yet?

If the cloudiness is not going away, but the CC are gone and the OCLT passes, then you have a filtration problem.
A DE filter should clear up cloudiness in a few days.

so according the TFT kit I have FC at around 20 and no CC reading. What I don't get is why the pool is still cloudy and why the test strips show no Free Chlorine but if dip it into Clorox it turns dark blue as I would expect. I would think if my FC was really 20 the strips would be off the chart with a dark blue color just like dipping them into the bottle of Clorox.
The pH of Clorox concentrate is about 12, so that could be messing with the strip.

Thank you all, I have not done the OCLT, I need to read what it is :) The test strips are way off in color on everything, they usually do a pretty good job of ballparking the ranges. I have added a ton of Clorox in the past 2 days. I am enjoying the new Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS pump it is very cool and quiet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.