Algae Problem

If you haven't added the CYA the test will still read zero. Once you add the CYA don't retest for a week, it can take 5-7 days to fully dissolve and read on the tests.

You can put the CYA in a sock and set it in the skimmer, leaving the pump running for 12-24 hours so it can dissolve. You can also hang the sock in front of a return. If you put it in the skimmer, don't backwash for a week or you wash out the CYA. Retest in about 5 days, but after 48 hours assume that the CYA is in the water and boost the FC according to the chart.

Remember to use the calculator to figure out how much to add.

Hope this helps :wink:

everglades26 said:
Where do you all recomend me buy the chlorine, and CYA? How much of each?

For the chlorine, where ever you can get the best price. If you can get 12.5% for around $3.00 a gallon, that is a good price. Wal-mart sells their store brand bleach 6% for $2.54 for the large jug which is like a gallon and a half or something.

The CYA, since you need alot of it, probably the pool store, but check lowes, home depot etc., pool departments if they have it. You need alot, so get the granular so it's cheaper. It's around $12-14 for a 3-4 pound cannister. I have seen 4lb cannisters at Meijers for $12.99, but they don't always have a large stock.

Pool Calculator gives me 23 pounds of CYA to raise your level to 60. Obviously you can't put 23 lbs in a sock :shock: so you'll probably want to a few socks placed strategically - do you have multiple returns? If so, start with 20 lbs, (you don't want to overshoot your target) put one sock in front of each return and one in the skimmer (don't block the waterflow), and maybe put 1-2 lbs in each sock. Then repeat this when the granules dissolve from the sock. With good flow, they should dissolve from the sock within a day, but again, don't bother to repeat the test for 5 days or so, don't backwash the filter if you can avoid it...

I was confused with the chlorine I thought that you could purchase pure chlorine in lieu of bleach. Is CYA Cynuratic Acid? I have a Lowes around the corner. What would I tell them that this is used for in thier world?

I do have multiple returns like seven or so.

How would you hang these over a return?

Is there spell check somewhere?

CYA, cyanuric acid, is sold under various names, most commonly stabilizer or conditioner. It is found in the pool department of many big box stores and at pool stores.

The best way to add CYA is in a sock placed in the skimmer basket. Remember to run the pump continuously for 24 hours after adding CYA.

everglades26 said:
I was confused with the chlorine I thought that you could purchase pure chlorine in lieu of bleach.
If you mean "liquid chlorine" then it's basically bleach except with a higher percentage of chlorine. Normal bleach is typically 5% or 6%; pool-store liquid chlorine is 10% or 12.5%. Look on the label for the "sodium hypochlorite" ingredient.

You can shop around and see what's cheapest, although you have to factor in the percentage.
price / (ounces x percentage)
will give you the cost per ounce of hypochlorite. For example, my Safeway has its house-brand 6% at 3.49 for a 182-oz jug, so
3.49 / (182 x .06) = .320
On the other hand, Leslie's has 2 gal of 10% for 7.49 so
7.49 / (256 x .10) = .293
so Leslie's is cheaper.

The only "pure" chlorine is chlorine gas, which your average pool owner does not want to be messing with.
--paulr

If you want to do it in stages you could just put some in a sock in the skimmer, but don't try to put all 23 lbs in at once, it would surely block the flow of water.

Yes, bleach is chlorine and chlorine is bleach. It's sodium hypochlorite, store bleach is just a lesser strength. :goodjob:

Guys I purchased the Cyanuric Acid in bulk. It was advertised to disperse at 1 2/3 lbs. per 10,000 gallons but when the product came in it was from a different manufacturer and showed to disperse at a rate of 1lb. per 3000 gallons.

I purchased 4-15lb. pails of this, did I get a lesser product?

It is probably exactly the same stuff, just with different package labeling. Adding 1 lb per 3,000 gallons will raise CYA by 40. 1 2/3rds lb per 10,000 gallons will raise CYA by 20. Since they don't know what your current CYA level is, and they don't know what you want your CYA level to be, they just have to make some arbitrary guess about the application rate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.