New Pool / New to Algae

TomCa

Sep 28, 2015
Roseville, Ca
I had my pool running since February, never been in it. Go away for 3 weeks in April, put solar
cover on it for first time while I was gone. Came home to dull water and green spots.
I have filter running, brushed sides and taken cover off.
2 questions
1) how do I address the algae and get rid if it?
2) Did the bubble solar cover affect the PH while I was gone.
Pool is on auto timer.

currently; PH - 9 / ALK 180

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Tom

My first question is...while you were gone the 3 weeks, was someone testing your levels and making the necessary additions to keep the chemistry in balance? If so, the answer to number 2 would be, not likely.

To answer question 1.... sounds like performing a SLAM might be in your future.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=3913

Are you testing the pool yourself? It would be helpful to post your results so we can get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

~Kevin (MN)
13.5k gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl
2HP Waterway Pump, 200sqft Hayward Element Filter
BBB Method & AuquaSmarte Inline Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit

Most SWG owners will test their own salt levels, even though many SWGs have some type of indicator to let you know if the salt is low. In any case, your first order of business will be to remove algae, and to do that you require a SLAM (link below). During the SLAM, you can leave the SWG off and rely solely on regular liquid bleach to maintain the required FC level.

Most importantly Tom, you'll need your own test kit (TF-100 w/ XL Option or Taylor K-2006C) - TF-100 link below. With either kit, I highly encourage you to request a "Speed Stir" as well to make mixing and testing so much easier. It makes a world of difference. Oh, and the TF-100 link also has salt test kits/strips as well. Read the SLAM page and let us know if you have any questions okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.