Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach vs vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach vs vinyl liner

Hi I am new to this site. I have a 12x24 oval, 7,400 gal AG, 1.5 hp Pentair filter system with Nature 2 system. This set up is meant to be low chlorine. My problem is no FC. My TC is 4.2 ppm. I asked my pool guy about using household bleach to try and "unlock" the CC and he said that household bleach is bad for the vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this or he is trying to keep my buy his chemicals? Any other ideas to raise my FC and lower my TC levels?

Thanks
    Scott
    7,400 gal Oval AG
    Cartridge Filter
    1.5 hp Pentair filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach vs vinyl liner

He wants you to buy his chemicals.

Read this recent thread, it has lots of clues as to what is going on with your pool, and there are handy links as well, for futher reading. ITs all relative to your situation.

There is no truth that bleach hurts a vinyl liner. Bleach is chlorine. More damage can be done by using trichlor tablets that cause low PH conditions, which is terrible for a vinyl liner.

After you read that thread, if you would like assistance on yours we'd be happy to help.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You need to shock the pool, see this article at Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't let the PB scare you.. mine tried to do the same thing. This is my second year on BBB. No issues yet. My liner is new.. so I would easily know if bleach was fading it.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by momadmak
    Hi I am new to this site. I have a 12x24 oval, 7,400 gal AG, 1.5 hp Pentair filter system with Nature 2 system. This set up is meant to be low chlorine. My problem is no FC. My TC is 4.2 ppm. I asked my pool guy about using household bleach to try and "unlock" the CC and he said that household bleach is bad for the vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this or he is trying to keep my buy his chemicals? Any other ideas to raise my FC and lower my TC levels?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott, Yes it is true...if you poor the bleach directly down the side of your pool with the pump off and it is allowed to sink right onto the liner. I have been using bleach, 10% liquid Chlorine and trichlor pucks for the past year...The only think that has damaged my liner is the puck that fell out of the floater when I pulled it out of the pool and I could not get it off the bottom fast enough. The bleach or liquid did absolutely nothing...if you pour in bleach do so right in front of your return with the pump running. It will circulate the bleach away from the liner and keep it from damaging it. Don't let PB fool ya...his chemicals are probably worse for your pool then the bleach could ever be.

Beave
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer